Windows 8.1 is available now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

If Anyone was wondering how you change the Metro Start Menu and login Colour It's easy;) Make sure you are in the metro menu (this will not work from the desktop) Hold down the Windows Logo Key together with the Letter "I" This will open a option at the top right of the Metro Screen. Click on Personalize and you can slide those colours about to your hearts content til your satisfied :cautious:

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I had Sbie 4.06 installed on Win 8 before the upgrade to 8.1. I didn't need to re-install it after the upgrade and it worked without any issues.

However everyone's setup is different :)

3. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Mine had the yellow "!" in triangle mark after 8.1 update and with re-install worked fine.

Now in 8.1 seems firefox downloads in sandboxie does not auto ask to be moved outside sandboxie after finish and have to manualy move them out eventhough the option is checked.

Starnge behavior of sandboxie in 8.1.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if by chance you had the error code i would be interested in what it was but it sounds like you dont any longer. is all working okay now? btw microsoft knows about the error i mentioned earlier and will be working on a fix for it.

5. taleblou

I wished I wrote it down. I was so frustrated after 2.5 to 3 hour waiting to iunstall 8.1 that forgot to check to see what that error meant. It must be either eaz fix or shadow defender. Now I have reinstalled shadow defender and its working fine. Only I no-longer can register eaz fix to see it workd now after update.

6. taleblou

Since I lost eaz fix due to 8.1 update, I am using the windows 8.1 system restore and is it good or as good as a snapshot? I hope it can be as good until I can get a good snapshoting apps.

7. zfactor

i dont like system restore myself i actually run with it turned off on all my own machines. and i dont think its as good as a snapshot. i have read ax64 is working on 8.1 maybe worth a look?? tomm ill test out eaz fix on my test machine and see if i have any issues and what they are.

8. taleblou

Thanks and let me know if eazy fix works ok.

its called easy fix and not eaz fix. here is the link: -http://www.pcundo.com/-

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Windows 8 will still receive security updates right? I tried to install Windows 8.1 and 50% in the installation, it provides an error that it couldn't update system partition or something like that. Restarting the installation will restart the download (wtf?). After that, I don't have any motivation anymore to redownload and try to install Windows 8.1 (it's a ****ing 3.68 GB). So I'm thinking of staying with Windows 8.

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You need to schedule "chkdsk", restart so that the "chkdsk" can run and then try to install the upgrade.

Best regards,

Mohamed

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

8.1, Much better than 8 :thumb:

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No, it didn't work for me. First time I tried with everything installed, it proceeded without a hitch, no errors, then when it got to its final stage "finalizing", nothing, just a black window for ever. After recovering the system with an image, I thought okay let's uninstall security, Sandboxie + Avira + Shadow Defender, started all over again with exactly the same results, a black window.

Now it's not exactly interesting to waste 3 hours for something that was hailed as simple 'update' on a computer which is 5 months old and bought with Window 8 pre-installed... I can live with Win 8, but somebody without a backup image would now have a real problem. No joy here.

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

maybe your security softwares messed up your MBR?
    Shadow Defender modifies the MBR, does it not?
    with a 5 months old computer i'd definitely look at the security programs as the usual suspects when things go wrong.

14. aladdin

Do you have some utility like StartIsBack or similar installed. StartIsBack has a Windows 8.1 version called, StartIsBack+. Start8 came out with an updated version 1.30 yesterday.

Best regards,

Mohamed

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Perhaps it was not clearly stated in my post, the first attempt was with the security and the second attempt was without any security, I got exactly the same results. Apart for the applications mentioned above I can't think of any other application conflicting and I'm not the type installing new programs all the time.
    @ aladdin
    I do have an application from Samsung which came pre installed, called 'Quick Starter' but I can't see how would that hinder an installation of Windows...

16. moontan

if you uninstalled the security programs the damaged they might have caused might still be there.
    some of those security programs won't restore the MBR as it was before, after you uninstall said programs.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  17. zfactor

i strongly URGE people to make a full image before updating, not just a snapshot but a full fresh image it only take a bit of time and if there are any issues you can go back. there are many reported issues right now ms knows of most of them already from what i was told this morning and are hoping to sort most soon

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I see what you mean, but I'm pretty sure Shadow Defender doesn't modify the MBR.

19. moontan

right you are.

disk imaging should be the #1 weapon of choice for Wilderites.

i also made an 'base' image right after the 8.1 install, before i install any programs.
    then another one right after all my programs are installed.

if you have a lots of program to install you might want to create extra images throughout the process.

20. moontan

i'd bet my last dollar your problems are caused by security software.

if you don't find a solution to your problems then you might have to install 8 from scratch.
    take a system image after installing 8, then install 8.1.
    take another image.
    install your programs, take another image.

after taking the last image install your security programs last so you won't have to re-install all your regular programs all over again if your security programs behave badly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Sorry to read about your update issue Osaban. That must be REALLY frustrating.

Can I ask if all Windows 8 updates were up to date before you tried the update to 8.1?

Is Windows Firewall turned on?

Is the time and date correct?

Were you installing using a local account or a Microsoft one (perhaps try using the other account to the one you originally tried with)

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

22. aladdin

Hi Osaban,

About a week ago, I installed Windows 8 on one of my computers. After the installation, I installed Start8 and it didn't sit right. Every time, I started the computer I had a blank screen. I could do CTL-ALT-DEL and it would put me on the "sign out" screen but in Windows it was blank. I didn't know I was in Windows until I did CTL-ALT-DEL.

Had to reinstall Windows 8, did some updates and restarts and then installed Start8.

Best regards,

Mohamed

23. taleblou

Start menu-8 by IOBIT is the best and issueless and did fine for updating. SO maybe you should use it. Its free.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

moontan thank you for your concern, but I think your dollar and my dollar are too valuable to waste for something as wealthy as MS.

I might do that out of curiosity, but I have programs that I don't have the installer anymore and would lose them in the process.

I have been obsessed with imaging for many years now, and I've always used the same combination of security with different OS's without any problems, meaning essentially, that once they are uninstalled, they are off the system, period. You may be right though, and I'll give it a try in the morning as it is getting very late here...

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is indeed stapp, I do like new (or fairly new) OS's...

Absolutely.

Yes it is, does that mean I should turn it off?

Yes they are.

I was using a MS account.

Thanking you all for the useful information supplied! I will update my eventual progress, hopefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.