Windows 7 UI

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by midway40, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

looks nice.
    on a side note ive been undecided if i like KDE4 or not. prefer Gnome
    i like the screenshots of windows 7 thou. the environment hasnt been a problem with windows.
    the problem has always been speed,stability and uptime.
    having to reboot for the smallest changes is really annoying.
    plus gui not being seprate from the system so if explorer crashs the whole system crashes.
    plus a bad video driver can crash the whole system. last issue sorted in vista so i have been told.
    if microsoft can provide a stable reliable OS that seldom needs to reboot then windows 7 should be a success. but i wont put my bets yet.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I find myself favoring KDE4 and Gnome off and on, kind of as the mood strikes I guess....

The screen shots look pretty much like Vista, nothing too much new. I expect it to be just built on Vista and maybe fine tuned some. I would be extremely surprised if it was reworked in any major way... 2009 is very close at hand.... no time for major rewrites...

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that is true not much time for bit rewrites. think it is just tuned. the problem with freqrent releases is that you have to keep paying for new releases. so if its just tuned its like paying for a service pack really..

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I agree... Looking thru the shots, I see almost nothing new or of interest. I really doubt the underlying OS is any different from Vista. And it would be just like MS to pump out yet another one on some marketing schedule. Kinda sad in a way, but it is what it is......

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

wouldnt be so bad if vista was faster,more stable and more reliable.

apple always charge for OSX releases that dont have many differences but its stable,fast and reliable so isnt as bad.

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Stability and uptime isn't really a problem since Win2K, and speed degrades are avoided by good maintenance.

I don't think re-booting is bad when installing device drivers or software like AntiVirus and firewall that uses drivers. Or program modifies certain areas of the Windows registry and requires re-boot for changes to take effect. I find annoying is when uninstalling simple software like Toolbars and requires re-boot when the 'developer' could easily unload their application and/or dll modules and delete without the need to re-boot.

If third-party program causes Explorer to crash in Win2K+, I would suggest contacting the program technical support. You can restart Windows shell without re-booting, simply use CTRL+ALT+DEL and in Windows TaskManager menu - File \ New Task (Run...) and enter-in Explorer.exe and OK-it. :)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to say that I have not had much trouble with uptime and/or rebooting, this on 2k, Xp and Vista. 2k I used to run for a week or more without a reboot. Same pretty much with XP. Vista is new here so I have not yet run more than a day or two without a reboot since I am still changing things.

I guess what I value most is performance, stability, and freedom from bugs and/or glitches... good looks don't hurt either... ;)

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Dito,on kde4.I agree see nothing to much different buy screenie but How much different under the hood will it be.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

with vista sometimes i need to reboot it to get back to normal speed.
    rebooting is one of things with windows i really hate.

i was shocked when i found out that windows servers need to reboot often due to windows updates as well.
    people have noticed that with vista if the display driver goes iffy the system can sort it out without a reboot. so why does installing a new display driver need a reboot? surely it could just shut off the gui and then restart it?
    same for uninstall just shutoff the gui uninstall the driver and then use a basic driver?

why cant all major companies send microsoft basic drivers for printers,scanners,graphics cards, sound network,motherboard,chipset etc once a month? that would mean you wouldnt need to hunt around the internet for drivers. plus surely microsoft could make sure the drivers are as stable as possible. plus you wouldnt need to install the bloated driver software packages. most adverage users wouldnt know what hardware they have and where to look for drivers. so if the above was true the user wouldnt need to and still benefit from the lastest drivers when they get windows updates.

what do you think?

i hope that windows 7 is very modular. so it can be just a core OS and most stuff as optional componants.

surely you could have one installer for both server and desktop OS? just ask desktop or server at the start and what version you have and then stick in the license Code.

btw if you install windows server 2008 core can you add explorer full GUI or would you need to reinstall and select the full installation?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i knew you could do that but i wasnt sure if it was a good idea or not.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally agree with u.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, I remember running 2k for a week to 10 days, and I could have run it a month probably, it was always by choice that I had to reboot, installing a program or some other thing like that. 2k was good....

15. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

18. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Nice find Longboard:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.