Windows 7 - Removing pre-installed Adobe P/shop stuff

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ocky, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

A friend running Windows 7 which came with Adobe bloatware i.e. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements 7 and Photoshop Premiere Elements 7 wants to remove the whole caboodle but
    is wary of the vendors cautionary not to uninstall too much of the pre-installed stuff the Sony laptop came with when purchased. :D

What gave her the impetus to uninstall was a reminder by Secunia PSI that Elements 7 is E.O.L. and she would rather rely on Irfanview anyway.

Would E.O.L. mean no more security updates ?
    Would there be any unforeseen consequences, dependency issues etc. when uninstalling the whole lot ?

As far as I am concerned she could safely get rid of the entire Adobe bloatware, but I need to cover myself as I haven't used Windows for a while and hence your advice is needed. :)

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I suggest that she just not use the stuff but let it be there, assuming no space/RAM constraints. Who knows what fine print those guys will resort to?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Ah, you mean if something goes wrong with either Windows 7 or even her laptop, the vendor
    will point to her having uninstalled something that was preinstalled so she will have no recourse ?
    Is that not a bit farfetched ? I need more advice. ;)

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It is farfetched, usually vendors don't really care what you've done with software, only the hardware (e.g. open the panel on a laptop). It's perfectly safe to uninstall all the trials and such, if something goes wrong, nearly every laptop comes with a "recovery partition" you can use to restore to "factory defaults", which includes all the trials, etc.

If you happen to have the correct version of Windows 7 on a DVD, a better step is simply to wipe it clean, install all the Windows updates, then after that input the Windows key on the bottom of the laptop.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I agree with the above elapsed, but her not being as clued up as most folks here on Wilders, that option would unfortunately be out.
    I will just recommend that she remove the stuff.
    B.T.W. If a product like her Elements 7 is end of life, am I correct in thinking that this software will no longer be blessed with vulnerability patches ?

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Re no longer being blessed with patches, I'm not sure about 'products like Elements' but it most definitely does apply to Elements. Adobe simply expects customers to upgrade to a newer version......and new versions of Elements are released annually. I mean, despite the fact that Elements 8 was only released ~2 years ago, they're not planning to patch it either.

https://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa11-03.html

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks prius04, yes I meant the software P/shop Elements. :)

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Photoshop Elements or which ever Adobe app we are talking about is just an app that the computer company installed just as you would. I actually paid Dell $58 to include Elements 8 on my new computer when I had them build it. If I change my mind and want something else I uninstall from the control panel like I would with any other app. Case in point, I uninstalled the pre-installed Adobe reader and replaced it with PDF-Xchange Reader. :cool:

P.S. What does E.O.L. stand for?

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's a common term around software meaning "End Of Life".

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks! I hope my funeral director doesn't contact me entering E.O.L. ! :)

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

:D Thanks twl845,....and let's not dwell on E.O.L. too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.