Windows 7 problems with Acronis home 09

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alex 999, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex 999

Alex 999 Registered Member

I cannot get Acronis true home to work in windows 7.It does not acces the ATZ which holds my XP backup. Any ideas? I would like to mount it as a drive.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI version 9 or version 12/2009? 9 is so old, I wouldn't expect it to work worth a darn in W7. However, you could probably get the boot disk to backup and restore hdisks that have w& installed. Even in it's day, ATI 9 wasn't one of the best editions of ATI.

Note that even ATI12/2009 doesn't officially support W7, which hasn't yet been released (not scheduled to go into RTM until October). I think some foks have been getting it to work, at least with simple chaores, but you will want to do the restores from the bootCD.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Alex 999,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home

Officially Acronis True Image programs don’t support Windows 7, so we can’t guarantee proper functionality. As workaround you can temporarily install the program on any supported OS, create Acronis bootable disc by means of Media Builder within the program and use it to backup/restore Windows 7.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. Alex 999

Thanks guys. I bought it from the website last autumn. This can't be obsolete already! There has to be a fix coming. I'm not going back to XP, Win7 works brilliantly for me. Ati 9 always worked nicely for me but not being able to mount my backup as a drive is not very good for me. I'm locked out!

They will issue an update I hope. I'm buying a new Vista lap top and I've read it doesn't work on the 64 bit. Had I known this 8 months ago...

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are you referring to TI or Windows 7?

If TI, are you referring to TI 9 or TI 2009? Two very different versions.
    If to W7 then if you've paid money for it at this moment you've been had!

I imagine that there will either be a new build or perhaps more likely as W7 is due for release around the same time as Acronis release new versions of TI it will be in a new version of TI.

Mounting does not work in W7 or Homeserver, this is probably due to two things.

1. Microsoft are treating all disks as dynamic even when they're not to save the less interested user from problems sorting out what to do when they add an extra drive to their PC. This has also changed the way in which virtual drives are recorded in registry, and,

2. They have changed (Microsoft) the physical placing of certain areas of the partition information - this may or may not cause a problem with TI mounting.

If you are purchasing from an OEM then from July (I think it is) you will be entitled to a copy of W7. If you buy a machine with W7 on it, you are netitled to a 'downgrade' to XP (or so MS reported last week)

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You're not going to find many software vendors that suppport an OS that hasn't been released yet. Some are assuring that they will support W7 when it's released, some programs seem to work okay with the the Release Candidate that is currently in circulation (although this doesn't guaranty that they will work with the Release to Manufacturing (RTM or officla release for sale) version that is scheduled to come out in October.) Between the RC and the RTM changes in the OS may require further changes in software running under the OS.

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

As far as I can tell, mounting works perfectly with Windows 7, both x64 and x86 versions, both with the beta release v7000 and the release candidate v7100. I've tested all of the combinations with TI version 10. The problem of not being able to mount an image with Windows 7 must be specific to TI version 2009 and, therefore, it may not be a Microsoft issue but an Acronis issue.

8. Retired24

Retired24 Registered Member

FWIW -

I used ATI 10 in Beta and RC releases of Win7 - 32 and 64 bit. Had no problems at all.

Using build 7229x64 - a non-official release build...;) - ATI 10 will not work, but ATI 2009 works fine.

Upgrading to 7232x64, or 7260x3,2 builds yielded the same results - ATI 10 - no work, ATI 2009 - work fine.

All references to the HOME version of ATI.

YMMV

9. Alex 999

Yes I was referring to TI Home 2009. Installed without problems on Windows 7 but locks up or freezes the computer when trying to mount drive from secure zone.

10. Retired24

Retired24 Registered Member

I just do complete backups and restores from a separate HD - never an issue.

11. Alex 999

Am now using ATI Home 2009 on Vista home 64bit and everything is working normally including mounting the backup. Shame it doesn't work like this in Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.