Windows 7 premium 64-Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AlizeZ, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlizeZ

AlizeZ Registered Member

Would anyone know if I could use following programs with
    Windows 7 premium 64-Bit

#1- SpyBlaster
    #2- SpyBot S&D
    #3- MalwareByes
    #4- PC Tools Firewall
    #4- CCleaner
    #5- AVG 9

If I have posted these questions in wrong area, please excuse me and tell me where I should post them.

Thank you.

Bob

(I hope my wife did not ask question previously (she is not at home at this time). I am though quite sure she did not.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

i wouldn't use avg
    spybot is out of date

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

first of all is a limited user account (LUA) - respectively the knowledge
    of you or your wive. then its not really important which antivirus engine
    you use. any one of the top 5 will fit (avira, eset, kaspersky, gadata aso.)

ccleaner is systemtool/tweaker - NO security tool!
    in wise hands it can do magic - if not it can do worst (like any cleaner/tweaker).

the trouble is to find some software which can do on 64bit systems.
    32bit is easier to protect with additional software than 64bit.
    (see sandboxie, defensewall, malware defender - all only 32bit these days)

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

The way MS protects the 64bit kernel makes that it is better protected than 32bit, so that 64bit users are more safe without Sandboxie and such programs. The bad guys can't hurt 64bit as much as they can hurt 32 bit users. Still nice to see that for instance Comodo 4 will give 64 bit users a sort of sandbox system in 64 bit mode.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, but it works in the same way as Vista's 64 bits virtualisation protection of file and regsitry to deal with programs incompatible with UAC restrictions. This option will stay until Windows 9. I always wondered why someone did not make use of it (same as the attachements/download/execution limitations which are availabe through GPO, see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1595542&postcount=1).

I found some code examples of people being able to use Vista's registry and file virtualisation, I was not able to use it in easy (clear up saved registry values i mu HKU of the virtualised HKLM entries). But the developers of Comodo should be able to use this 'hole' or feature. The only issue left with x64 being vritualised is side by side intrusion of equal rights objects. Comodo has D+ which looks after process/objects intrusion, so they pretty well cover everything (partly by virtualisation, partly by old fashioned HIPS).

All in all: a nice find of Comodo implemented in a smart way (see I can give compliments to Comodo team)

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

AVG Free and paid, both already contains spyware protection, so can remove Spybot, MallwareBytes.
    As for SpyBlaster, it adds links to HOSTS and it can slow down browsing, also I consider it kind of overlap.
    PC Tools is a nice firewall and CCleaner is a good choise, I can not imagine Win without it, solves many problems.

Check out, what software do other people run on 64-bit OS: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=261404

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.