Windows 7 Home Premium - OEM versus Full

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am still using Windows XP Pro SP3 on all three of my Home PC's. However, I am considering getting Windows 7 Home Premium shortly after the official release of SP1. I am concerned about major hardware upgrades with Windows 7 Home Premium in the future.

Questions:

1. What are your feelings on Windows Home Premium OEM System Builder versus Windows 7 Home Premium Full?
    2. Is the Full version worth the extra ~$50.
    3. It looks like the Full version has both 32 bit and 64 bit. Would it be possible to install the 32 bit version, make an image, install the 64 bit version, make and image, and if I desire switch back and forth (through image restores) between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on the same hardware?

Thanks in Advance.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

For only $50 more, I'd go for the full. As for choosing between 32 or 64, why not try dual booting? You could divide your h/drive into two partitions, install both versions on the separate parts, set one of them as the active partition, and use EasyBCD to create the boot entries. You could clone this setup afterward. Either that or if your hardware specs are decent, then you could run one of them in a VM such as Virtualbox.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

oem system builders are just fine. you are only allowed TECHNICALLY to install it on that one system, BUT they will re validate it for you as long as you are only using it on one system so if you change out the mobo or the system dies you can move it to another system (though you are not supposed to by the book) but if you call ms to re activate you simply tell them its only on the one system and say the mobo died and you have to reinstall. i use oem system builders all the time in my shop and ive had times where i was able to re validate them over and over again just not every time online.

imo SAVE the money. other than the activation they ARE EXACTLY the same thing...

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I really can't advise whether OEM is a better deal than a full license. I think if it is for one computer $50 doesn't seem a lot more to pay, but for 3 computers it might be too much.

I bought a Vista Ultimate boxed package as I was given a pirated version of Windows, and have been doing for a while exactly what you intend to try in question #3. It was good fun actually to restore to 64 and then a few weeks later to 32. I had no problems whatsoever (also thanking ShadowProtect which would restore either system in about 8-9 minutes). Even activation, I did it once for both systems and had no more prompts from MS.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I think that wat0114 has really good advice.

Just install win7 32 bit or 64 bit, then start windows and create a second partition, then install win7 64 bit or 32 bit on the second partition, then you can choose which one you want to use when your computer boots.

More info -->Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?

Also take a look at Windows SevenForums for loads of info help and advice on Windows 7, Windows SevenForums rock!

Also try
    Windows 7 Forums

Wilders users can give good advice but the windows 7 forums will probably have all of your questions about Win7 already answered, then you don't have to wait for replies at a security forum. hope this helps;)

6. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

But would only one liscence allow the user to dual boot?

OP; you can also try MS Technet; for $200 you can get 10 keys of ultimate+Office 2010; and you can 10-tuple boot :D

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Wouldn't installing to a VM be considered an additional system though and breach the licence terms?

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It's worth a try. I've used in the past one XP key to install the O/S on two computers and MS let me activate them several times over. After a while, they deemed it too many times and wouldn't let me activate it anymore. The ruling at that time, not sure if it still holds, is that they allow the O/S to be installed on a second pc such as a laptop, as a backup system, so to speak. What I don't like about the OEM version is that it's supposedly tied to the original hardware it's installed on, so I feel $50 more for the full version is worth it.

9. zfactor

you can ALWAYS get around the oem tied to one machine thing as i already said. all you do IS CALL THEM and do a phone activation. easy as that. done.

and technically yes if you run a virtual machine you need a second lic for it.

why would you want 2 versions of win7 on one system unless you use one for testing etc...?? just upgrade and use the pro somewhere else. and as i also said dont bother spending the 50$...

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My advice is to partition your drive to like 20gb as the active/primary using something like PartitionWizard.

Install the 32bit, do nothing but activate it. Then make an image and put it on DVD using your chosen image software.

Wipe the drive and do the same thing with the 64bit version. Do nothing but activate and make an image to DVD.

Now you can create larger partitions and put each image on a partition and use bcd to make it dual boot. As long as you have that hardware you just restore your raw image rather than reinstall (versions are already activated). Making your partition small initially is important depending on which imaging software you use. Some of them will let you place a smaller image into a larger space, but not a larger image into a smaller space.

You can them use those images in VM often too. But in VM you could just as easily create an .iso of the install DVD, mount it and install from it in little time. Doing it this way, just make sure on installation in the VM that you uncheck 'activate online' so that you essentially get 30 days to test it. After 30 days you might just repeat the process. This saves activating it more than once (or twice if you are doing 32 and 64).

Sul.

11. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

yea you may want to make sure your machines are capable of running 64 bit OS

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I scanned the the thread and I am not sure if it has been written but :

There is absolutely no difference between OEM and Full(Retail) version of Windows. The difference is that OEM version is for new computers only and the retail is for all kind of computers (no limitations here).

A retailer who sells you OEM unless you buy a new computer from them violates the Microsoft rules.
    OEM products are to be used with new computers only . That is why they are cheaper - e.g. a computer shop makes you a discount from the full MS Windows price if you have bought a computer from them.
    One must be registered as an Microsoft OEM system builder to sell OEM licenses.
    OEM versions are for one computer only and as mentioned above , you may have problems with activation if you transfer on another computer (different from the initial) . In such case you must contact Microsoft via phone.

Full versions or the Retail packages can be used on more than one computer (of course not at the same time).

Here you can find more about the difference in the how the license key - COA looks like:
    www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

13. zfactor

though even places like newegg sell oem versions of win7...as well as most all other online vendors

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This is the catch; you have to phone the boss and ask (or beg) for permission, so hopefully you don't get rejected and/or flagged as a potential miscreant, although I do agree they'll probably allow it to be activated on different hardware. My feeling is $50 more is worth it for the full version. In my case I paid a whopping $120 more for the full (Win7 Ultimate) but I didn't want it tied to one pc, especially one that was alreday 4 yrs old at the time.

15. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Actually , it has always allowed me to activate on different hardware - there are some number of re-activations allowed. It has never been a problem for me to re-activate . If the activation servers are offline or there is such a problem , I call them , there is either a telephone auto-system or if an agent speaks to me they ask me to send them a proof of purchase via email (pics of disk CD/DVD , COA and an invoice/bill) . What is ridiculous is that their email system accepts mails only less than 1 MB so I always have to attach the pictures somewhere and send links (but that's another story).

Again:

16. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

They may sell the OEM but as you see they write that it is precisely for OEM system builders . Yes , you can find OEM version and get one with no problem and yes , most probably nobody will have problem with that but rules are rules

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.