Windows 7 built-in Partition Manager or Partition Wizard ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by southcat, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello everybody, i want to resize(shrink) my system partition, should i trust Windows 7 Ultimate built-in partition manager or free partition wizard bootable cd ? (Can't afford a paid partition tools currently)

Thank you.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have used the windows 7 partition management plenty of times and havent had any issue. as always i would reccomend backing up your system partition before doing any sort of resize just incase there are any issues.

3. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I have used the native Windows Disk Management tools at work on servers and at home on desktops without issue. I agree, however, that to be safe you should always backup (image) the partition(s) first.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The Windows 7 built-in disk management program doesn´t move files. So, it may not reduce the system partition as much as other partition managers.

5. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

True...in fact, MS recommends a thorough defrag before doing partition work using their tools. It will only shrink as low as the location of the last files...so the more you can consolidate, the more you can shrink.

6. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Thanks for all of your opinions, then i think i will do a defrag and shrink after by using Windows 7 partition manager.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.