Windows 7 Beta 1 v7000 and FD-ISR Pro

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I can't install First Defense Pro v3.31.233 into the latest Windows 7 Beta.

Is there a way to do this so I can experiment?

Many thanks,

Silver

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Have you tried installing it in compatibility mode? That might help. However, seeing that FD-ISR is not officially compatible with Windows 7, it might not work at all. It might even mess up your system. I am hoping that by the time Windows 7 is released, FD-ISR will also be compatible with it.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

(Todd does not owe anyone this, but we can always hope!)
    Acadia

4. silver0066

Yes, it did not work. I get a message stating that it does not recognize the bootmgr. Same thing happened with an earlier version of FD-ISR when Vista first came out.

I hope Todd is watching.

Silver

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I want to figure out a way to send some $$ to Todd in compensation for his time in continual support of this product so that it might work well with Windows 7. I would not want to move on to W7 without FDISR. Todd, send me your paypal.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Can't think of a better tribute.:thumb:

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey, I'd be in that too. :thumb:
    Maybe there is a way: donations or some annual tithe/maintenance that we licencees of FDISR-PRO could keep Todd on board...??
    Guess there are some issues though. :doubt:
    That mountain may be too high. :'(

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:rolleyes: May as well send me some too if your throwing cash around like that :cautious:

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

DVD+R, if you could figure a way to make FD-ISR work with Windows 7 ... you got it!

Acadia

10. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

I would be willing to pay another 80$ for a Windows 7 compatible version.;)

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I can :D (Acadia: Please forward $1.000.000 to my account promptly :cautious: )

As this is still BETA please wait till July 1st 2009 when Windows 7 will be launched and install the Full Version, FD-ISR will work as W7 is only a Higher Upgrade of Vista everything will work fine :cool:

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Gosh, I hope that you are right about this. :doubt:

Acadia

13. evansgo

evansgo Registered Member

DONT DO IT!!!!!

I made a new empty partition to install 7 into and it all seemed to go OK, but at the last stage it rebooted, then complained that there was a boot problem :-(
    Now I do still have my Firstdefense bios boot, but whenever I try to boot to any of my 4 snapshots it loads of about 20 seconds and then I get the blue screen of death saying that it cannot load the boot sector or similar.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,
    Gareth

14. suliman

suliman Registered Member

Only thing to do is to restore your backup image, coz of course you took a backup of your system, didnt you?

When I tried FDISR it said the boot sector wasnt right and I could only boot into Windows 7. The FDISR snapshots are there but you cant get to them until FDISR is installed in Windows 7, and that cant be done until FDISR is made compatible.

15. evansgo

evansgo Registered Member

Yes - sort of! :rolleyes:
    I have a backup of all data, but the OS build backups were on four separate snapshots which all got bu88ered. It was not a pleasant experience as it caused all sorts of disk errors as well as the boot errors. I've been using FD for years and never seen this happen before. So after an hour or so of messing around I wiped all snapshots, bit the bullet and did a new install, so am back up and running and planning on installing Windows 7 on a separate disk with my main disk unplugged, on a shelf, over the other side of the room!!

Moral of the story DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL WINDOWS 7 if you rely on FD-ISR, they don't play together.....

16. Peter2150

You don't need to go to the extreme you described. Just image the disk with a good backup program. I tried going the upgrade path to Windows 7, and it didn't work out any better then you fared. Restored the image, end of story. Also for safety with FDISR you should keep archives on a separate disk as well as snapshots.

Pete

17. silver0066

Hi Pete,

How do you keep your snapshots on a separate disk? Would not that be considered an archive?

Silver

18. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Peter was probably talking about system-backup snapshots from Shadow Protect and other similar programs. Or he could have been talking about the Freeze function work around to reboot directly from one of your FD-ISR archives.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  19. Peter2150

Well chalk that up to bad english:D Difference in snapshots and archives is snapshots are on the c: drive, and are bootable. Archives can really be anywhere, and you can't boot to them, only restore them.

Pete

20. silver0066

I thought you might have found something new.... :D

Silver

21. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I just installed Windows 7 on a "Test SS" I still have several archives on an external disc. Can I , should I try to boot to one of these, or will I screw everything up. I didn't even think about FD-ISR -not working w/ Win 7. It's been able to handle everything else I ever threw at it. Now it look as though it's the only OS I have available on this box.

hmmmo_O

...screamer

waiting to hear before I do anything.

22. Peter2150

Hi Screamer

I tried installing FDISR BUild 233, and got a boot loader error, so for now, FDISR and WIn 7 don't look good. That's when I restored the image.

Had other issues with Win 7, so I wouldn't switch to a beta yet.

Pete

23. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Hey Pete,

Yeah, justa little too late. I installed yesterday. My main box's Raid HDD crashed and I'm waiting on a replacement from Dell. (little did I know it was gonna be next day, today) so I brought my laptop out of dedicated photo use and decided to try a new OS. Keep in mind, I'm the last guy to jump on the "new OS" bandwagon, but I've heard plently of good things about "7" that I thought I'd put it on a Test SnapShot. Now my "C Drive" has all the ISR SnapShots on it along w/ Win 7 & Windows.old. My external HDD has several .ARX shots. Guess I'm just gonna leave everything this way and hope that either Win 7 will eventually accept FD-ISR or FD-ISR will eventually be upgraded (fat chance) to work w/ Win 7. In any case, it looks as though we're stuck w/ one another for now.

Guess I'll just enjoy Win 7 in the meantime. My main box should be back up-n-runnin' by tomorrow.

thanks!

...screamer

24. Peter2150

I can't run Win 7. It shuts down my network adapters, and only way to get them back is power the machine off. Good security I guess:D

Frankly if it doesn't run FDISR, it doesn't run on my machines. Period.

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:thumb:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.