Windows 7 and RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WilliamP, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have FirstDenense ISR on my XP computers and wonder if RollBack Rx is a good solution for Win 7. Or is there a better program?

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Personally I'd continue with FD - rather than RB RX. It is easy to change the bootsector to allow installation it works with both x32 and x64

3. WilliamP

I tried to follow the instructions on the FDISR thread but I haven't figured out how to unzip and install Bootsect x64.exe .txt. I downloaded 7zip and the Bootsect x64 .exe .txt. When I right click on the download file 7zip doesn't give me an option to unzip.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I don't know about FDSIR, but it seems that you have two file extension. Both .exe and .txt

Remove the .txt. and you will be left with an executable file, which will be Bootsect x64 .exe

5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Welll. I used to use FDISR Also. No I never figured it out either. Personally, Im surprised that Wilders even allowed them to post this patch since it involved changing the W7 boot sector to a Vista boot sector. At best it was confusing at worst perhaps it would be disastirous. No Roll back would not be a good solution at least for me. That might be really a bad trip.

6. WilliamP

When I look in downloads it shows (Bootsect_x64exe. under Name, and Text Document under Type.

7. WilliamP

King ,how do you remove the txt. file extension?

8. aladdin

Hi there,

Sometime the uploading websites don't allow to upload extensions such as, .exe, .zip, .rar for security reasons as they can trigger viruses. So the trick is to add .txt at the end of the file, while uploading the files.

On download, the .txt is simply removed either by back-spacing or highlighting .txt and deleting it. Thus, restoring the file to it's original state.

9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Don't know much about FDISR as I have never used it but have used RB Rx under WinXP with no issues and have continued to use it since I moved over to Win7 Home Premium 64bit...and it seems to more like a dream. Have no issues to report. :D

10. starfish_001

Making FD work with windows 7 is easy x32 or x64

For the bootsect.exe to work rename - remove .txt . It must be run with admin rights. You could of course use a windows vista x64 boot disk or the recovery disk from Vista.

You may have a problem if windows has a hidden recovery partition ie C: is not the active drive you could follow the instructions
    here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233932

and here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267909&highlight=windows fdisr

personally I would buy shadow protect desktop and use that to eliminate the hidden partition if present that can change the active disk and copy boot files - once this is done you can leave it and just run the bootsect fix

11. WilliamP

How do I remove the txt. I have tried and I couldn't.

12. starfish_001

right click rename and then delete the .txt leaving the .exe

13. WilliamP

I have tried right clicking both before and after download and I don't get a choice to rename.

14. aladdin

Is the "Hide extension for known files" unchecked?

If not, then un-check first, thus showing the file extension. And, then rename.

15. aladdin

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View and then un-check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.