Windows 2003 Server version?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by PortVista, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PortVista

PortVista Registered Member

What version do I need to back-up an image of my Windows 2003 Server? Also, I have this server hosted remotely with ServerBeach. I don't have physical access to the server. If it crashes and I get moved to a new server, how do I restore the C drive with a back-up image if I don't have access to the CD drive and can only access it through Remote Desktop? I'm assuming it's possible only if it has 2 hard drives (one to store the image).

2. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Seeing as your running Server 2003. You'll need either Enterprise Server, or Server. Given its a single machine, Server would probably be the go.

As for restoring the machine that may be harder then you think given physical access constraints.

The first issue will be where you're storing the image, If you save it on your System (C:) then you will lose it if the physical drive fails, if you save it to another disk then you may have some luck. Hot swap drive caddies would be the go, as a simple plug / plug of the failed drive / system drive / image storage drive would be required.

As for restoring the machine you'll need to have physical access, or depending on your host, if the machine has a DRAC card it can be done through a web interface.

Failing physical access you'll need to get the on site techs to swap your drives, boot the machine and run the restore. Though, they'll probably charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

3. PortVista

PortVista Registered Member

Thanks, I was hoping the highly overpriced server edition would have a way to actually restore my remote web server, but I guess not! lol!

I guess I need to see if Server Beach offers a restore solution as far as a complete drive image restore -- I know they offer FTP back-up, but I think that's just files. Maybe Acronis should set-up a deal with hosting companies to get them hooked up with a full back-up restore! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.