Windows 10 Issues, Problems & solutions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 1, 2015.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm starting to get seriously irritated about the regedit issue. Not only is it broken again on both of my machines, it is worse. There were certain keys I could skip over and continue searching, but now I can hardly search anything without it crashing. I have had to resort to 3rd party utilities I do not entirely trust, and will eventually probably have to pay for a good one. If they don't fix this by the anniversary update, I am likely going to be spending a lot more time in Linux. On the up side, that will save me a lot of money on the AV subscriptions I maintain.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Got sick of the minor bugs plaguing my Windows 10 installation that was upgraded from beta. Yes I have system drive imaging, but they were not noticeable enough for me to restore in accurately or even in time (daily images gets cycled).

Then I decided to get a new SSD (Samsung 850 Pro), and re-install Windows. Oops, it did not recognize my license since I was a beta user or something.

I do remember talking with Microsoft about my license (was trying to use old MSDN Pro license), and they told me there won't be any problems after rolling back once (got a no go, but they said my OEM license needed fixing)...

So I used the OEM license under my laptop battery (again), and it worked! I swear, if I did this any later (after the free upgrade period) I'd be stuck with my old SSD or at least cloning it (deleted recovery partition a long time ago).

Guess it was a good impulse for once to buy before the release of Redstone which I previously planned...

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

"TPM's technical specification was written by a computer industry consortium called Trusted Computing Group (TCG). International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

TCG has faced resistance to the deployment of this technology in some areas, where some authors see possible uses not specifically related to Trusted Computing, which may raise privacy concerns. The concerns include the abuse of remote validation of software (where the manufacturer—and not the user who owns the computer system—decides what software is allowed to run) and possible ways to follow actions taken by the user being recorded in a database, in a manner that is completely undetectable to the user.

5. korben

korben Registered Member

A friend wants me to help her configure W10, but being an impatient lil creature she ticked the express settings - how to work around it? ANy way to go back?

6. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Yes, see PART 2: Configure Windows 10 Privacy Settings after Installation of this guide: http://www.askvg.com/guide-best-privacy-settings-for-windows-10/

7. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

the settings for Windows Defender ( Real-time protection, Cloud-based protection, Automatic sample submission,...) are all grayed out. This is the case on 2 machine I've just upgraded - although the settings are different on each, both have Real-time protection enabled.

Anyone know of a solution for this?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

ahhh i'm using a SUA - Thanks!! That's one of the few settings i've come across that can't be done with UAC elevation... Insider Hub App can't be uninstalled either.

I'm having another issue - I've been using powershell to remove default Apps the users don't want as suggested here http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how...-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/ ,but on this latest PC nothing happens in powershell when i enter these commands - any ideas? I tried Admin account - doesn't work there either. I've found a work around for now using CCleaner instead, but I'd like to know why powershell isn't working on this PC (no softs installed that would block it)

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

See if this helps.
    http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-remove-all-built-in-apps-in-windows-10/

11. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

ok - I figured it out... I first tried to remove built in Apps with Win10Privacy, but it fails to remove some of the Apps & also prevents PowerShell from being able to remove them. So I reinstalled the default App package and then was able to remove them with either PowerShell or CCleaner.

I found Win10Privacy failed to change quite a few of the settings - but it's still good as a checklist for going through the settings manually

12. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Forgot to mention... I've also found System Protection is disabled on every PC I've upgraded & UAC is reset to default - though many other settings are preserved

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home. Everything works fine in Win 10 and it's a keeper, it is even faster than Win 8.1, unfortunately booting time is longer, not a deal breaker, but annoying (although hibernation resumes in 12 seconds, a lot faster than Win 8.1). Question: Any idea/suggestion as to what would cause a long booting time (It is 90 seconds in Win 10 and less than a minute with Win 8.1)? Thanks in advance

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

What antivirus do you use?

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Roger I've thought of it, but Avira had no negative influence with Win 8/8.1. When I upgraded I even uninstalled it in advance and re-installed it on Win 10. I honestly can't remember how long Windows 10 would take to boot without Avira in the wake of the upgrade, perhaps I should uninstall Avira and check boot time... Sometimes I wish computers would be a bit more self-reliant...

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If you were runnning the same version of Avira before and after the upgrade, it should not be having more of an impact on boot times after upgrading. Without Avira it's possible that your boot times may increase, as in some cases Windows Defender casues very noticable performance issues.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes I can confirm that Windows Defender is definitely slowing down the whole performance compared to Avira, but I can't possibly remember about boot time, well I can live with it as I usually boot in the morning and shut down before I go to bed...

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I reached the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with Win 10 booting time on my machine. Out of curiosity I have turned on "Fast Startup" (recommended setting) which I usually turn off as it doesn't play well with Shadow Defender, and booting time is 20 seconds to see the desktop. I think my upgrade was successful, and I feel more and more positive about Win 10...

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Glad you like it Osaban. Like you I also feel more and more positive and I would not go back to Win 8.1.:thumb:

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also not going back to Win 8.1, for the first time MS is giving away a free OS and with an absolute novelty, namely what they call a hardware 'activation with a digital entitlement' which means that Win 10 can be re-installed on the same machine as many times as needed without any activation hassles, how can one pass over such a deal?

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sigh, it seems I always get error 0x8e5e0147 when installing KB3172985. I tried the manual download, clearing Windows Update Cache, restoring to older image, etc. Nothing seems to work...

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

J_L,

Have you tried running the Windows Update Troubleshoot application?

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

25. Logethica

Logethica Registered Member

@J_L In my opinion I think that it would be best for you to forget about trying to install KB3172985..
    Problems with either its initial download,or once downloaded appear to be the experience of quite a few people..
    The chances of a specific fix being released is pretty low...especially as the W10 Anniversary Update is only about 2 weeks away...
    SUMMARY: Forget about KB3172985 and wait until the Anniversary Update instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.