Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-windows-10-pc-test-build-adds-media-casting-support/

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

OS/2 beat Win 3.1 :D

Umm...Windows Server has had this since Server 2000 (or 2003...a long time ago). This makes me think they didn't deploy Windows effectively.

Well, yes, but that's because we do more stuff and with more devices/peripherals. The purpose of the PC is to do stuff, not to sit there and be invulnerable--if you want that, use DOS like that author or even an IBM Selectric. Otherwise, stop complaining about features and teach/learn to use those features safely rather than self-imposed denial-of-service.

The article fails to acknowledge that home systems are meant to operate properly out of the box with a variety of hardware configurations and enterprise systems are handled more securely and that's why there are two different versions for that purpose.

"Inspired?" Hardly. If a browser doesn't display the content requested by the user, it has failed.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

"Microsoft to get pushy about upgrading to Windows 10" - yes, because they were really holding back so far :)

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Obviously MS is trying to wrangle in the average user who have windows updates set to automatic download. I expect when these users receive ' Upgrade to W10' set as a recommended/ pre-selected update they will agree to install it when the option to deny or accept is presented because they will expect it to be required maintenance. They should not be mocked for believing this as windows update has always been promoted as a means to keeping your PC safe.

The most ethical way to have offered the Upgrade to W10 would have been as an ISO via the MS Store or via a download from the Official W10 website. MS chose otherwise.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. anon

anon Registered Member

GWX Control Panel 1.5
    http://www.neowin.net/news/gwx-control-panel-15

What's new in version 1.5:

• Now detects the hidden $Windows.~WS folder associated with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, in addition to the more common $Windows.~BT folder that was already detected in previous versions.

• New Delete Windows 10 Download Folders feature now deletes both detected hidden download folders, preventing users from having to run scripts or manually override file security and ownership settings.

• Program now only requests administrator privileges when they're actually required, and only once per session, instead of always asking for permissions at program startup. Note: This is a hard feature to test because of the thousands of user security/permissions possibilities out in the wild; please let me know if you experience unexpected behavior when attempting to perform operations.

• New /norestart command line switch to assist support staff who operate GWX Control Panel via remote assistance tools. (More elsewhere in this post.)

• Clear Windows Update Cache feature now displays a list of temporary effects that clearing the cache will have on Windows Update.

• Decoupled download folder size checking from rest of the informational stats to speed up the first screen refresh with current status.

• Removed the Close 'Get Windows 10' App button because it confused some users and was somewhat redundant, since the Disable/Enable 'Get Windows 10' App feature implicitly exits or launches the GWX app as needed.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Many are already confirming that 10586 installs without watermark and without "Insider Preview" wording, so this is TH2 RTM. No expiry date as well.

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would think it would have to be. If any issues are discovered they would probably just patch it. A couple of things I have found after installing this build... It resets the default programs for a lot of things (photos, PDFs, etc.) and if you have previously disabled fast startup it will turn it back on. Fast startup does nothing but cause me problems, so I turn it off immediately.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have Hibernate disabled so Fast Startup should not be able to re-enable itself on my machines.

18. xxJackxx

Is there anyone else that has 10586 installed that can check something? If I search the registry (regedit.exe) for anything, once it hits HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE it sits there indefinitely and if you click the cancel button it crashes. I get this on 2 machines. Wondering if it's just me.

19. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@xxJackxx Running 10586 Pro 64-bit. I was able to run several full searches through regedit just now without any stalling at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or crashing upon pressing cancel after that section. We'll have to see if another user on this build can confirm and track this down further.

20. xxJackxx

Thanks for checking. I'll start removing stuff to see if I can identify the conflict.

--After much testing I found the key that did it: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade\Pnp\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceMigration\Devices\SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_BUFFALO&PROD_USB_FLASH_DISK&REV_4000#B015000000081316&0#{53F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}]
    I think this has something to do with a flash drive I have, which has been used on both machines. Deleting it fixed the problem. I'm glad I figured it out, as I doubt little to anyone else will have this problem.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  21. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Ugh, I just saw that now the Settings app has a splash screen.

What is with this resurrection of the splash screen anyway on these "modern" apps? Back in the old days, it was something to look at while you waited for an application to load, for 5, 10, 20 seconds or even longer. That was when you didn't even have enough RAM to run Windows without heavy swapfile usage.

Then as computers became more powerful, they fell by the wayside. But now, MS is foisting it on us again, even though the thing is only there for a split second because the app loads almost instantly.

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I just installed today's updates for Win10 x64 but no Threshold 2.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

24. xxJackxx

I've heard the 2nd, 10th, and 12th. I guess 2 of those are not likely. So far.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.