Winamp vs. Sonique?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Q Section, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Which is better and why? Thank you in advance for your insight. This is assuming the best version of each but not necessarily the latest version.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I see that there are not to many answers coming your way on this one. Well I have never used either programs, I use WMP9 with all of the phone home blocked. I just posted because I couldn't stand for your post to be so lonely. :D ;)

3. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Thank you. Everyone else must be so busy being into security issues and have no time for music. Of course we are listening to a radio station on the computer as this is being typed. In the mean time we found a great test site for mp3 decoders found here. Now it seems we are about to try Ultra Player! :)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't know if it is still available but I use to use yahoo player that worked very well. Might be worth a search.

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I tried Sonique quite some time ago - it was nice and had a very eye-catching interface with a high degree of "flashiness". After a short while, I reverted back to Winamp because the interface is simply much more intuitive.

A lot of folks were turned off by Winamp when Winamp 3 was released. I too felt it was a big step backwards. But many never bothered to examine Winamp 5, which I believe is a fine product. There are frequent updates with fixes and features, and a few worthwhile plug-ins have bee developed. My only complaint with Winamp is the startup time - it certainly could be better on both my old and newer machines.

Quintessential player is also highly recommendable - but when I used it some time ago I didn't find it to be any better than Winamp 5. Perhaps I'll give it another try.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Q, i wasn't online thats why i couldn't answer. i used both of those players and found Winamp to be upto the mark. Sonique is more of an eye-candy rather than a music player. the developers are very lazy in fixing bugs where Winamp coders will reply to your bug submissions. the main factor is the decoding engine, Sonique uses its own engine where Winamp uses Fraunhofer's. so obviously it makes a big difference. though i personally like the Xaudio engine better than the Fraunhofer but you never mentioned Musicmatch so i'll keep quite. Winamp 5 is very good and it is bundled with the Sonic extraction engine for CD ripping though i don't see any burning reasons for using it when you have the free Audiograbber. the best Winamp version? IMHO its 2.91.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can test the JetAudio ;)

8. Weber

Weber Registered Member

you may try Foobar 2000 too...

9. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I have been enjoying Quintessential player :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.