Winamp shutting down after over 15 years

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm pretty sure there was a tick box to show or hide adult content. Not sure how the default was set or how well it worked. Perhaps it got unticked by a family member :D.

I believe you could also skip installing the online services of winamp if you did a custom install. If you were seeing pron it could have been fixed.

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Both are true as much as I can recall. Adult streams could be left unchecked and, I believe, the setting was fairly deep within the preferences and had to be looked for. The default I recall is that adult streams were not checked. The online services were indeed optional if I am remembering correctly.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I dont like iTunes either, in fact i've never ever installed it in any of my PC's.
    As some of you, i've never owned an Apple device so i've never needed it.

Still, i have friends that even though they are no longer using Apple devices the first thing the do is install iTunes. o_O

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is it because they actually prefer the UI or because they have their music collection in the iTunes store?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Dave0291

That would be wonderful. Perhaps with more eyes upon it and sensible people guiding its direction again, it could live a happier, longer life.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think its because they are used to it. I know they dont buy songs or anything like that . . . :rolleyes:

8. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Winamp is well known, just remove all bloat and many will start using it again.

9. guest

guest Guest

Still less bloated than iTunes IMO.

Sad really. It was like a standardized music player back there. That's the first software I used to convert audio files (it has an audio conversion feature IIRC).

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

All good things must come to an end. I'm not a Winamp fan but I sure would prefer to see the development continue; be it sold to another company or released as open source. Hopefully this 'death note' turns out for the better. It sure has stirred some interest.

11. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Uhm... anyone can just untick the components one doesn't care for. Bloat removed. Problem solved. No reason for anyone to have stopped using it in the past or to prevent someone from using it in the future due to bloat.

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Winamp 5.666 build 3510
    http://www.winamp.com/media-player/

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2013/12/05/as-t...eres-how-to-migrate-your-playlists-elsewhere/

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It may also be available on oldversion.com as well... unless they plan on pulling it everywhere at some date.

16. roger_m

I don't think download sites will stop hosting it.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that sounds reasonable... :)

18. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I still use Winamp 2.75 (may 2001) till today - for nostalgic purposes. I use the ADVANCED AUDIO PLAYER skin and it still looks modern enough.

For a while in the late 1990's it was the best. Eventually I got into iTunes around 2003 and have been using that ever since, though I stopped updating my (and other people's) versions at either 9 or 10. Version 11 has too much cloud activity and user interface problems.

Prior to Winamp mp3 audio on the pc was a haphazard mix of semi-custom interfaces and just a general mess overall. It is my opinion that WindowsMediaPlayer is an abomination. I long ago gave up on it. Crap was flying everywhere and I couldn't make heads or tails out of anything!

Once you get the hang of using iTunes as a playlist manager and sync tool to your iPods it is a really an excellent combination. And it doesn't take long at all, an evening perhaps? I absolutely love how you have a choice of using the standard NTFS & WindowsExplorer-like file structure and drag'n'drop capability or the itunes-automatic renaming and structuring option as your framework for file management. Winamp was also good here too, but not quite as feature rich.

I believe iTunes really shines in that it accepted my Winamp playlists and maintained my original directory structure from since like 1997. And conversely I can drag files right out of iTunes back into Winamp. All without altering filenames or their location on disk. This has afforded me the benefit of easily and seamlessly moving my library trouble-free as I updated my hardware throughout the years. Fantastic!

Till this very day I mirror a few playlists from iTunes back down into Winamp. Why? It's fun and retro-cool.

19. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I will have the opportunity to ask some socialites and celebrities tonight why they chose iTunes as their music management tool. I'll also ask them if they had any experience with Winamp. Expect a brief summary soon.

20. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I suppose the software will live on for a good number of years on third party software hosting sites like FileHippo, OldApps and too many others to mention.

21. Dave0291

I was hoping some progress would be made on either a buyout or open source. I suppose AOL decided to not listen again. :(

22. roger_m

But, I believe the same could be said about about any MP3 player and not just iTunes. Since I never have and probably never will own a iPod/iPhone/iPad I will keep all my computers free of iTunes

23. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/an-ode-to-winamp/282496/

25. Dave0291

The way things are going, there will soon be a need for an Ode to Rdio. I guess considering it is AOL, hope of keeping it alive or letting someone else take over was nearly useless. Luckily it will be available through torrents and P2P in general for a long time to come. The bad news is that many horses rears for humans will pack malware with it. At least we have pretty good alternatives and the ability to still download the full program minus the "extras" for another day or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.