WIN98SE; some "gearhead" queries:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Jan 16, 2003
    For any techies in our forums - some answers, if you can help, please?

On our PC with WIN98SE:

a) I once did a WIN reinstall that is really more of a refresh, you could say,
    wherein the WIN install on the PC stays almost perfectly intact and that method uses some switch like /w when you enter install parameters. I forget, however, what the proper switch is to do this. Anyone know?

b) Is there a slicker/quicker utility than MSCONFIG method, where one can fly thru' choices of what you want to run or not, just before you reboot?

c) Along the lines of question b: is there some method to erase old entries in Startup section of the MSCONFIG box, for old crap that you no longer have or use?

d) Any utilities like - but not from Norton bloatware - out there, that runs on WIN98SE and can do whizbang stuff that Norton used to do with the older versions of WIN that I so fondly recall from the old days?

e) At least one party here in the forums, I think, mentioned WinRescue program as being a lifesaver... when one really needs it. Any users out there, who have and use that program? Does it work pretty well? I always like to hear the end-user opinion, not what a company/author, claims about something.

Many thanks for any help/opinions, etc.
    Best, SG1 (Pat)
  2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Win98SE is soooo old, I forgot most of it already.

a) Did you try these? (I think you need /d)

b) My brain is too fuzzy for this one.

c) You could use Spybot Search & Destroy, or HijackThis. You need Spybot anyway, especially with 98, so load it up with TeaTimer.

d) Could you please be more specific as to what you want to do? Norton did a lot of cool stuff, especially in it's early DOS days.

e) Can't help you there.
  3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Sep 4, 2003

a) Close_Hauled is right, you need the /d switch.

b) not that I know of personally, but its been a long long time since I've used 98.

c) - Startup control panel, works very nicely, I still use it (Win2k, lack of msconfig.)

d) Not too sure what you're talking about. lol.

e) Never used it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.