Win98 SE, date is reset to 1988

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by greengrass, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greengrass

greengrass Registered Member

Hi,

I have a windows 98 se laptop that does not keep the current date in the date and time properties window (accessed from the task bar). It reverts to a 1988 date usually at a random time interval after I've set it to the current date. It could revert after one day or two days or longer.
    The laptop was purchased after Y2K.

Can anybody help?

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

I to use 98 se and have never seen this problem nor can I find anything about it when I tried googling it the only thing I can think of is that your OS has been corrupted or its some sort of a compatibility problem

This said I will have another look and see if I can find anything on it and get back to you

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might check the bios battery It could be weak or a little corroded and looses contace in effect resetting the clock to default time.

bigc

4. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've heard of rare cases where altering the time in windows didn't properly migrate to the RTC on the motherboard. Try changing it in your BIOS settings and see if it sticks.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think BigC and NOD32_user are right; it has something to do with the system battery. Try what both of them said, if that does not work, try to remove and re-attach the battery; else buy a new one, attach it and see if its fine, and lastly try another OS and see if it works.

Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.