Win7 or Win8 forHTPC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by garry35, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

which system will produce better performance on a PC which is mostly intended for use as a HTPC mostly TV via a tuner and some movies, i dont often use this PC for playing games and my primary concern is that it sees the hardware and has drivers. both editions will be 64bit and rely on windows media centre.

Gazzer

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Bear in mind that for Win8, WMC is an extra purchase ($10) AND you must have the Pro version to install it. So for an OEM disc you're looking at a total of about $150. A Windows 7 disc, if you can do with the Home Premium version, would include WMC and sell for $100 or less.

If cost was not an issue I'd probably go for Win8 at this point, since it will be supported for 3 years longer (2023) than Win7's EOL (2020).

I'm not sure about driver support, but if it's a newer PC Win8 would recognize more of it out of the box. I don't think you'll have much trouble either way.

3. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i am currently running windows 7 x64 but i was curious if windows 8/8.1 will give any extra performance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.