Win 9X security updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rasheed187, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't really understand this, the latest patches that were released for 2000/XP were almost all rated not critical for Win98SE, how is this possible? You're not going to tell me that Win 9X is safer. :p

And about the Loadimage API bug (see link), this was rated critical for Win9x, but there still is no patch for this. Am I missing something? o_O

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/bulletin/ms05-002.mspx

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Actually most exploits have a lower effect on 9x simply because (1)No one uses it (2)Their (coder's) OS would BSOD before they could get the full code of the exploit-using program written! (3)The BSODs caused by the malware using the exploit would make up for the lower amount of damage done by the malware itself.

You see, due to these reasons, Microsoft says those exploits are not critical, the BSODs are!!!

The critical bug for 9x was not fixed b'coz they probably had BSODs every time they tried to finish the patch and release it...After all if WinXP got a BSOD in front of Mr.Gates at CES 2005 then Win9x would BSOD anywhere....:) :p

I don't really see how one is going to use Windows 98 or Me for business applications, E-Mail, Internet and the like...NT core OS' are designed for that...But its OK to use 9x for games I guess.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Besides, win9x is not designed to be a secure os. Any app is critical on that platform.
    The NT based systems (w2k, w2k3, xp) have adequate security measures in place. Any critical vulnerability turns an NT based system into a win9x system (security wise).

4. Firecat

You took the words away from my mouth, how dare you!

5. Rasheed187

OK so MS can't even fix some holes in Win 9X? That would be a strange but logical explanation I have to admit. :rolleyes:

But this really sucks, what if some website tries to exploit the Loadimage problem, will it work on Win 9X? I mean there is already a trojan exploiting this hole. And I know that Win 9X is insecure by design, but that doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. ;)

6. Firecat

You're right, but you see, Billygunn wants to kill off 9x, and he thinks his new errr....AntiSpyware and AV will take care of those...But he's forgotten that they won't work on 9x!!!:p

Maybe Microsoft should sign a contract with another company to make security patches for 9x systems...if they dont have the time others will right? :)

Have a great day! ;)

7. Rasheed187

Thanks for the Secunia link, I totally forgot about that, but we have to keep in mind that 98SE probably has more security holes that are not in the wild yet, because most hackers/bug hunters are more focused on 2000/XP nowadays. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.