Win 98SE PC's hang at boot...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HAN, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have ran across something odd. At work I have a Win 98SE Compaq laptop and at home a Win 98SE Hewlett-Packard laptop. Both are on NOD32 2.50.25.

I still use the one at home from time to time and approx a week or two ago, it began getting to the desktop photo and then just hanging there during boot (before any icons appear.) The only way to get things going again was to force a hard shutdown (which of course is not what I want.) I noticed that the freeze seems to happen just after NOD32 checks the floppy drive for a disk. I have unchecked the system startup file check at login and unchecked the floppy check in AMON, both to no avail. This has happened sporadically around 1 out of every 4 or 5 boots. Now this morning, the seldom used Compaq at work has started acting the same way.

At home, I tried reverting back to 2.12 and it did not seem to help. I'm not sure what to do next. Both machines are clean from malware and viruses. It kinda makes me wonder if one of the recent engine/dat file updates could be causing it because when I ran on 2.12 earlier, I did not have any issues like this at all... on either machine. At home, I finally ended up taking NOD32 off entirely. Once it was off, no boot issues at all. 100% everytime.

It's not critical that I need my 98SE PC on the web anymore but NOD was always sooo excellent on these older machines, I have been kinda shocked that it has started acting this way.

Anyway, looking for some input/thoughts... Thanks! :)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Han,
    do you actually mean that if you uninstall NOD32 the problem will disappear?

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes. On the PC at home, once I removed NOD, it has been fine. On the times where I could get it to boot up ok, it ran fine then too. No slow downs or anything. The only issue appears to be during boot up.

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Do you have Active Desktop enabled, by any chance? Go to Control Panel --> Display --> Web and play around with the "View desktop as web page" checkbox.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

No, it's just the standard desktop. The background images on both PCs are simple .bmp files...

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you please try repairing Winsock, as discussed in post number 81 here.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Blackspear: From everything I have done both pre and post NOD boot troubles, the dialup connection has worked flawlessly (both of these PCs use dialup.) After removing NOD, I even tested a couple of competing AV products I had never personally looked at before and they had no issues booting or connecting to the net (I still didn't particularly care for them...they aren't NOD! ;) ) So IMO, whatever the problem is, it's not a connection issue. (My home 98SE PC still connects to the web ok without NOD because I tested it.)

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have seen slowdowns where Winsock was involved and yet connection was fine, in several instances ZoneAlarm was involved, so I would try a Winsock Repair.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.