win 98 se error message

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by monica_555555, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. when i start my pc i get a message that explorer has done an illegal operation and when i click close nothing happens at all i see
    only desktop wallpaper nothing else and anyone knows how to create a bootable cd so i can format my computer

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

if you want to create a windows boot disk go to the add and remove panel and click the start up disk tab

however be aware the default 98 boot disk is defective and wont boot you all the way to windows unless you make a few modifications you need to add a couple of files but I don't remember what they are just off the top of my head ill have to search around and see if I can find the relevant info again

also a small suggestion before you reformat your comp id suggest printing out a guide that tells you how to repartition your harddrive that way you can delete your current partitions and create new ones then reformat your harddrive if there are any viruses of anything hiding that may be causing your trouble these this will ensure that they are destroyed

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I was wondering whether this might help:
    Boot your PC in safe-mode (toggling the F8 key while your machine starts up), and then do a scandisk and let it repair possible errors, and then a defrag.

5. Cursed Ghost

Cursed Ghost Guest

hi

Error checking isnt a bad idea but i cant say id reccommend scan disk truth be told scan disk is probabley responsable for more errors than it fixes

so id suggest trying a difrent error checker somthing like nortons disk doctor perhaps

6. i tried creating boot disk but it was asking for a floopy but instead

of using floopy i want to create bootable cd because floopy gets

corrupted very fast

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Try Windows System File Checker, and let it repair any files it found damaged. It might ask for the Win98 CD, so if possible keep it ready :)

Click 'Start', then 'Run', then in the box, type 'sfc' without the quotes. That will start up the Windows System File Checker.

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

What you are asking foir is not impossible..but before you get frustrated it would be best to read this link and decide for youself just which option presnted would work best for you..and then reallly WORK ;) Since you have not really given enough info on what you do have in the way of software...other than you want to put together a CD>

Free Win98SE Boot CD

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_21055885.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.