Will You Keep Using Windows XP?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Dec 7, 2013.

?

Will you keep using Windows XP after Microsoft stops support?

1. Yes, but I have no choice

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Yes, because I prefer XP

16 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. No, I will upgrade Windows or change operating systems (Linux, Apple, etc)

17 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. I do not currently use XP

42 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Will you keep using Windows XP after Microsoft stops support?

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Last January I switched to Seven.

3. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Of course I will. I still use win2k on occasion

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

No, my XP has already been scrapped. :D

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I acquired a laptop with XP installed. It doesn't have enough mojo to enable me to upgrade, so I have to keep it until the computer dies.

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I will continue to use XP. No SP/3, no MS updates in about fifteen months.
    I've been running it 'unpatched' and without a third-party software firewall or antivirus- only Malwarebytes Pro, Firefox with recommended updates, SBIE (free), WinPatrol Pro, and Zemana Pro.
    Nothing I scan with indicates a security breach, so I see no need to switch.

7. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I will continue to run XP although I have other options, to include dual boot with Zorin OS on the rig. If the XP threatscape does prove to be dire as the steady clamor voicing doom predict Zorin will be my contingency.

8. guest

guest Guest

Have already left XP since the Eiffel Tower was still under construction.

9. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

My XP computer bit the dust 2 years ago, now using Windows 7 - what an improvement.
    Also have a Windows 8 laptop, but have to use it's desktop as I dislike the "metro" stuff.

10. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Yes

I have only one XP machine and it is too good to scrap.

I have four Windows 7 machines and they should be enough for me.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I pulled the plug (literally) on my last remaining XP box about a month ago.
    It still runs fine, but for me it was easier to maintain one less machine and to eliminate what I believe was the weakest link.
    I have no special nostalgia for the OS.
    And I am glad about that.
    Not clear on how to represent this on this poll... "I do not currently use XP" I suppose, but also a bit of "No, I will upgrade Windows or change operating systems". ;)

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, as a virtual machine. Unfortunately, none of the poll choices apply to me.

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The poll options don't apply to me either. The closest would be the 3rd choice. In the future, I might switch to another OS, but it definitely won't be a newer version of Windows. What I'm using works just fine and I have better things to do besides replacing things that aren't broken. I use XP but it's not my primary OS. I haven't booted to the physical XP system in months. I've been slowly building a virtual XP unit that's extremely stripped and altered. It will not see the internet until it's completed. If it works as expected, my primary system will be relegated to being the host system and Tor exit node, and the virtual XP unit will become my daily use system.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Havent used it since a loooooong time ago. :D

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

None of the polls options apply to me as well. I use 2 notebooks as my working machines with Vista and Win 8. I have 3 others old notebooks with XP which have specific tasks around the house and I'm planning to used them with XP until they brake down or something.

I strongly believe that for notebooks, the native OS installed when the machine was first bought is probably the best match for a given hardware architecture. In other words rather than upgrading XP, it is better to buy a new machine with the latest Windows.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Page, by pulling the plug you mean that you've upgraded XP or you've simply retired your computer? I often wonder what to do with an old notebook, it is easy to scrap a desktop, but a working notebook... Nowadays one can't even give it to somebody, chances are they might get offended... What's the best way to recycle a notebook?

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hello friend,
    By pulling the plug, I mean I unplugged it and haven't plugged it back in.
    It is a doorstop now, as they say.
    I plan to wipe the drive and then see about the best method of recycling, trying not to end up being guilty of the "dirty" recycling we read about.
    Here's a helpful article... How to recycle your old computer

I now have two XP boxes that I am not running, and that need to be put out to pasture. One of these days, as they say. :)
    I had too many damn computers anyway. I only really need two.
    Good luck to you, Osaban!

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Page thanks a lot for the link, very interesting read. I was actually thinking that another possibility for recycling would be to keep it as collector's item, after all a notebook doesn't take more room than... a medium size book...

19. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

None of the choices really apply. Perhaps the third choice is closest. I've been exclusively using Linux now for quite awhile.

I have a "designed for Windows XP" laptop that dual boots to XP. That laptop boots to Linux by default. I have not tried installing Windows 7 on it. I suspect it won't go well. It really does not matter, I only boot to Windows XP for updates, soon I won't need to bother with that. I may try to upgrade the XP partition to Windows 7. Not sure how that will go. I suspect not well.

I have two additional laptops and a netbook. One laptop is another "designed for Windows XP", I know Windows 7 will not install in this laptop, I tried it. Even Windows XP did not like being installed on this laptop, so it is now running Linux. The other laptop ("designed for Windows Visa") came with Windows Visa pre-installed, that has been wiped and the laptop now is running Linux. The netbook came pre-installed with Windows 7 Starter which I found to be rather useless, it is now also running Linux.

I have two Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk, one is installed in a virtual machine hosted on my daily use machine running Linux. I may use the other to attempt to upgrade the dual boot laptop. Another possibility is on my son's desktop for gaming. Linux seems to keep him happy so probably not.

As for Windows 8? I doubt Windows 8 will install on any of my laptops. I cant' see replacing perfectly functional equipment so I can use Windows. No plans on purchasing and installing Windows 8 on any of my desktops.

I have Windows XP installed in a virtual machine running on the same desktop I have the Windows 7 virtual machine installed. More than likely in the next few months that XP virtual machine will be deleted as the Windows 7 install suits my purposes and I see no need to keep it around.

20. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I have Windows XP installed in a virtual machine running within Windows 7 64 bit, because I have numerous older progs that will only run on XP.

21. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I wonder what is going to happen to all those companies that have XP reliant apps. Many are small businesses. I know of one large company that has XP on all their desktops with intranet access only. All their internet connected devices are W7 laptops and they intend keeping it that way. So there are solutions.

22. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Instead of recycling or scrapping an XP unit, you could donate it to a 2nd hand store or a senior citizens center. It could be sold cheap in a yard sale. There's a lot of people who don't have a PC or are trying to use even older equipment. Older desktop PCs can be converted into hardware firewalls. They can run lightweight linux operating systems with VirtualBox and host a virtual router and/or firewall. You could part it out and use the components (RAM, hard drives, network cards, sound card) to enhance your existing hardware, or someone elses. Some of the really old hardware had quite a bit of gold in it too.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Excellent advice! I may follow some of it with my door stops. :thumb:

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have 2 Windows Xp SP3 32 bit computers, one AMD 2200+ with a burnedout power supply and one pentium 2-450 that works but it's very slow and I though it best to get a 8.1 64 bit in-case I was forced to get rid of the windows XP computers.

25. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.