Will the SWB killfile entries be removed when I run Spybot S&D?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Supersnake, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Am curious to learn if the killfile entries that SpywareBlaster places in my computer will be removed when I run Spybot S&D.

The reason that I am asking this is that unless I am wrong:

1. When SWB installs killfiles it modifies the Data Value of the Compatibility Flags DWORD Value for the Class Identifier (CLSID) of the ActiveX Control for the known offender - but the CLSID of the offender remains.

2. Spybot S&D looks in my registry for the CLSID's of known offenders and when it finds one it removes the item from the registry. So wouldn't this mean that Spybot would remove my killfile?

Supersnake

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:Will SWB' killfile entries be removed when I run Spybot S&D?

Hi Supersnake,

I'd actually be surprised if Spybot S&D removed these entries now as part of its cleanup of an infection. The reason I say this is because Spybot itself has a small database of ActiveX controls for which it sets the kill bits, exactly like SpywareBlaster. And, since Spybot recognizes whether or not SpywareBlaster is installed (see image), and knows the value of leaving these entries in place, set to kill these controls, removing them would be counterproductive.

[​IMG]

Of course, if you had a specific infection from one of these items and cleaned it with Spybot, the next time you ran SpywareBlaster you'd see the item unchecked and in red again if Spybot removed it. It'd be an interesting test.

To be absolutely certain about this functionality however, it'd be necessary to ask Spybot's author.

3. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

LowWaterMark,

Thank you for your fast reply.

After reading your reply I performed my initial install and run of SpywareBlaster. I then ran Spybot S&D and as you presumed it did not target the killfiles generated by SpywareBlaster nor did it target the killfiles generated by the Spybot S&D Immunize feature.

I must compliment you for adding that excellent screenshot of the Spybot S&D Immunize window within your reply. And your added "red circle and checkmark" did not go unnoticed. Nicely done, screenshots help explain some complex matters well!

Supersnake

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm glad I could answer your question! And I agree with you, pictures really do make a big difference.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.