Will PrevX work?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eng, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi folks,

After having read lots about PrevX Home I am about to give it a try. But before than I would like to be assured that PrevX will help me rather than harm.

My configuration is following:

WinXP Pro SP1
    Ad Aware SE Personal
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    Pop-up stopper free edition
    CCleaner
    WinPatrol
    Zone Alarm free
    NOD 32 full paid release
    RegSeeker

One can wonder why I am going to take on board other security soft (PrevX) providing the above are resident in my comp. You know ... you are never protected enough, at least I mean.

My concern is that I have a laptop and while I am on a corporate network (LAN behind an authenticating proxy) in my office, I have a connection via a GPRS account at home. In work I often share files via our corporate network. I got know that PrevX Home (i.e. free release) is not primarily intended for a network environment. Well, but what exactly does it mean? Might it eventually break my beloved laptop?

So, my questions are:
    1) Can fit PrevX Home to my above soft configuration, i.e. does one imagine for any clashes with the listed soft?
    2) Can I safely use PrevX Home while I work in my office? (as regards a GPRS connection I am not too bothered with any problems)
    3) Is someone out there running PrevX Home on a network?

Your views and hints are highly appreciated.

Thanks folks,
    Eng

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It should slot in there very nicely.

It should not affect you at all.

On a small home network without a problem.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The only time you should really notice Prevx is when something is installing, whether you are installing a program or something else is trying to install for you (such as a worm, trojan, or spyware.) When you're trying to install something yourself, it's easy enough to use the trusted installation feature or suspend protection. If you forget, there's a 'suspend protection' button on the pop-up alerts.

I wouldn't imagine that you would have any problems with your setup or circumstances.

4. Eng

Eng Guest

Thanks Blackspear for your quick reply.

It sounds nicely and thus I will give it a try.

Blackspear, You are really a great advisor and you have my admiration for all your posts on wilders forum.

Others have comments to my topic?

Thanks,
    Eng

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Prevx is designed to prevent or warn you about any installation into certain key directories on the computer

It will work very nicely with your set up and should help to protect you

It doesn't stop you sharing files but should stop any accidental installation of anything

6. Eng

Eng Guest

Thanks all. I am really amazed for your quick replies.

I want to load PrevX likely today late afternoon. Then I am back with my feedback.

Thanks and regards,
    Eng

7. Blackspear

Thank you for your kind words, it is appreciated, and I am glad to be a part of the team here at Wilders :D

8. Eng

Eng Guest

It's me again. I forgot to ask for CPU usage.

I heard some guys had a big difficulties with CPU usage after PrevX loading. So far I am quite smart because I have not experienced any problems with CPU and I like to stay like this .

My configuration is:
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2,8 GHz
    512MB DDR SDRAM
    ATI 9200
    40GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD

Can I trust PrevX won't harm my system (CPU usage)?

Thanks for your hints,
    Eng

9. Blackspear

You shouldn't see any difference, I never have ;) :D

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I wouldn't wouldn't have multiple registry guards running on a single machine, just like I wouldn't have multiple AVs or firewalls. They may run alright together when nothing is happening, but when something does happen, they might trip on each other. It happened with me - when using Prevx specifically, but I wouldn't necessarily blame it on Prevx, I would blame it on the fact that I was running multiple registry monitors. Because, at the time, Prevx buffer overflow monitor was causing so much instability on my machine, I decided on using ProcessGuard as my "deep level" guard. Works differently, but it has kept my machine pristine so far.

Rich

11. Eng

Eng Guest

Installed and running for 4 hours now. Testing on our corporate network as well via GPRS and so far so good. No hitches yet only problem with updates because I am behind an authenticating proxy server. But the same I am also having with ad-aware, spywareblaster/guard etc. I cope this small disadvantage via a GPRS account.

As concerns CPU usage, you were probably right => no remarkable increase.

PrevX silently sits and guards me (I hope). I can recommend to those you are complaining for lots pop-ups to temporarily suspend PrevX, it does a job.

I am gratefull for all views here obtained.

Regards,
    Eng

12. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi folks,

having been testing for three days and I can report no bad things with PrevX on my comp.

Perhaps two things:

1) PrevX Home doesn't support an authenticating proxy server connection, in fact it doesn't make big problems but at least for updates you need to have a substitutive connection (GPRS account etc.)

2) I noticed when doing a full deep scan in NOD32 or registry cleaning in CCleaner or RegSeeker, it takes a bit longer than before but you can easilly cope this by PrevX temporary suspension what is really a smart thing (you are alerted by a small ever-standing window that you have suspended PrevX and a resume button will again load it back => very quick and nice).

Otherwise no harm of speed, stability etc.

I am of opinion that PrevX absolutely deserves to be loaded or tried at least.

Success and regards,
    Eng

P.S. Your comments are still welcomed.

13. Blackspear

Good to see Eng, and thank you for keeping us informed as to your progress...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.