Will not stop scanning...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by hpisti, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hpisti

hpisti Registered Member

After Windows (Vista) starts, when I open the ESS window (3.0.621.0), the number of scanned objects counter starts from 0 and just goes, and goes, and goes, ... it does not stop. It just scans away until I log off. The I restart, the counter resets and everything starts all over again. My HDD is just running continuously, which slows the system down.
    Is there a way to stop this? Never experienced anything like this with other AV software.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's normal. When the operating system starts, it accesses a huge number of files and so do applications when you run them.

3. hpisti

hpisti Registered Member

Yeah, but the count keeps going up to 400-500 thousand(!) and goes on for hours and hours with 4GB RAM and a quad-core... that's not normal...

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It sounds like something is continually writing to a file (e.g. a log) which causes the file to be rescanned every time it has been modified. Check the statistics for the name of the currently scanned file. If the same file is continually scanned, you can add it to the exclusion list.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

do you have archive files (zip rar iso) that contain hundreds of files? maybe those are scanned if yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.