Will it ever be possible for Eset to make future version that actually work?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by GrammatonCleric, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Brand Spanking new machine.
    Corei7 920 @ 3.2Ghz, 6Gb of Ram, 128gb Torqx SSD, Windows 7 64-bit Professional and ESET 4.0.467. Outpost Firewall just the firewall is installed No WEbContent scanner nor the Spyware...Esest is set to ALLOW all for everything eset net facing. And also Outpost is Exlucded from Eset Scan.

EVERYTHING for ESET IS ON DEFAULT.

Now:
    1) It lacks up my machine when scanning most downloads...the lockup is anywhere form a hicup to few seconds.

2) It totally locks up my system FREEZES fully (HD is trashing away) when attempting to Open mpegs. No matter on the mpeg size and not all mpegs. I have tried with both videolan, windows media player and GOM player. Same crap.
    So basically as it stands now, I would take a virus over this "Protection".

I understand that it's the Heuristics that kicks in...but OK how Powerful of a system do I need in order for this run smoothly? I guess 4 Physical and 4 virtual (HyperThreading) so 8 cores is not enough? Or maybe 6GB of Ram is not enough? Or how about 180 Mb/S SSD is too slowo_O
    But wait ESET is Light on the resources...sorry I forgot about that "fact".

Damn everything beyond version 2.7.x been shiat....oh and even after all that the detection is not even near 95%.

2. RyanW

RyanW Registered Member

You might try disabled Scan on creation. It's a current ongoing problem (according to a thread here) and see if that helps with your downloads?

According to av-comparatives the detection rate is just above 97%. Not sure where you got your statistics.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have a similar machine (12GB of RAM, 64GB SSD boot drive, 1TB HDD data drive) and have not experienced this problem. It is running ESET Smart Security v4.0.467.0 with slightly tweaked settings (detection of PUA enabled, cleaning set to "no cleaning"), though.

Downloaded files are scanned prior to committing the file to its final location on the disk volume, and there will be some overhead to scan them, especially for files which are nested archives, contain runtime packers, install software, contain anti-debugging or similar code and so forth. That said, while I've seen downloads pause at the end in order for this to occur, I have not had the system lock up. Files are downloaded using Internet Explorer 8 without any modifications such as toolbars, download accelerators, et cetera. It would be helpful to know more about the types and sizes of files you are downloading, as well as if multiple downloads are occurring simultaneously.

It has been a while since I have watched any MPEG encoded videos on the computer, so I will do some testing. If there is a specific file which causes this, providing a link would be most helpful in reproducing the issue.

There could be other contributing factors, such as unoptimized device drivers, or background tasks that run after the operating system has been installed (file indexing comes to mind).

The more detailed information you can provide, though, the greater the likelihood of resolving the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

There are 3 in Windows Vista / 7

Indexing service, system restore service, and the Superfetch service, with the superfetch service causing most of the disk activity.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I tried playing several* MPEG-encoded videos using Microsoft Windows Media Player under Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition on the system without experiencing any problems. There is quite a bit of variation in the MPEG format, with different encoding schemes, not to mention resolutions, color-depths, frame rates, et cetera). Perhaps there is something specific to the files you are attempting to view. Do you have any idea which codec is being called on your system to view these particular videos?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

*"Batman Dead End" (filename: Batman_Dead_End_Full_Screen.mpeg) - Source: TheForce.Net
    "ESET Smart Security 3.0" (filename: Eset 45English.mpg) - Source: ESET v3.0 retail install CD
    "Star Trek New Voyages: To Serve All My Days (promo)" (filename: tsamd_640.mpeg) - Source: 5YearMission.Com
    "Tripping the Rift" (filename: tripping.mpg) - Source: Atom.Com

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As for mpge files, these are not parsed internally whatsoever so they should be scanned in a flash. I wonder if you could provide a link to such a problematic mpeg file so that we can check it out ourselves.

7. SolidState

SolidState Registered Member

Just my two cents... Are you using Firefox to download your files? Firefox has built-in AV that's very basic and pathetic. It scans files that are downloaded when they get written from the tmp file to actual file and can interfere with other AV like NOD32 (with option scan on creation enabled) in my experience causing a pause and lockup of the system that can last many seconds depending on the size of the file. You need to disable it.

about:config

find this entry

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone

set to "false"

Solid-State

PS By the way you almost have the best security software combo around IMHO. I use NOD32 with Outpost Pro and SuperAntiSpyware. This is the best 1, 2, 3 punch I can personally come up with to fight Malware. I also use on-demand Malwarebytes... Infection free for some YEARS now... As far as I know!

PSS Don't disable scan on creation! Disable the stupid function in Firefox first ppl!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  8. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

You are 100000% correct, I also use those 4 programs you list, and another "super dupper dipper" of a program is Macrium Reflect, this is a program to make images of your system / partitions, like the programs you list, this is the best in its category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.