Will Google Chrome have 10% market share by end of 2010?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Sep 17, 2009.

?

Will Chrome have a 10% market share by the end of 2010?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

They have now topped 7%, 10% by the end of the year is possible. I think even if Chrome does not get to double-digit market share by 1-1-11 they stick with Chrome development. I believe in the past they hinted at dropping the project if they don't reach 10% market share by the due date.

Attached Files:

2. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Maby Chrome will reached 10 procent market share , maby they wont. But personally I belive that IE 9( version 8 is already a good browser) and Firefox 4 will steel market shares back again:) when people have had there flirt with Chrome;) .
    Best Regards

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha no one knows but :p
    Most of my friend that have used Chrome keep using it :D

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I have Chrome, but never use it. My impression is that Chrome is a chassis, engine, steering wheel and 4 road wheels - a skeleton framework.
    As opposed to Firefox and IE that are akin to a Porsche by comparison.

Chrome has a LLLLLLLong way to go if it ever gets there - can`t see it. Far too much ground to make up.
    Firefox and IE are here to stay with a colossal combined market share.

Chrome will never make 10% and IF it ever does, it will be grabbed back by FF and IE when users find it is too skimped.

John B

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/?hl=en

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think Chrome will reach 10% :p

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've changed to Chrome (with FF and IE for the rarest of rare occasions) after reading this and the comments section.

I like the focus on speed and security. With the availability of extensions, it becomes my prerogative to have the browser minimal or as bloated as I wish. I hope Google continues with this policy and doesn't succumb to calls for it to be an all-singing, all-dancing browser .... But FF does this out-of-the-box! Why doesn't Chrome?

I also like the way updates are handled by using a variation of "diff".

As far as the problems with ads go, I use Privoxy. Since it sits outside the browser, I don't need to have separate "adblockers" for Chrome, FF, and IE.

Chrome portable allows installation on other drives. One of the drawbacks of the original is that it doesn't allow the user the choice.

The demand for privacy may be genuine or fashionable. If Google or the intelligence agencies of the world wish to keep track of me, I'll be honoured.

(Oh, but I still use Chrome within Sandboxie (as I would any other browser) :D)

8. John Bull

Everywhere we go in our conversations, up comes the inevitable Browser argument. Some like it hot, some like it cold and on it goes into a melee of confusion.

Talking Browsers is like talking religion. It is elevated to the status of some sacred cow where the temperature rises by the word. It is a subject that easily throws a thread off topic.

Can we please either raise a new thread to rationally discuss Browser performance and preference as of July 2010 or utilise this thread ?

To kick off with and to throw the ball into the ring, here is a stat table extracted on 11th July 2010. I suppose this in itself will cause a shower of sparks.
    Browser stats.JPG

John B

9. culla

culla Registered Member

looks like firefox is winning :D

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Trust me, it's not.

11. culla

culla Registered Member

according to those stats its winning easily :D
    i don't trust you :D

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Here's a whole Wikipedia page if you're really interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_stats

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Maybe if I type "Trust me, it's not" in a table, add a title like hmm "Browser Statistics Month By Month", then you'll trust everything I say..? :argh:

JRViejo has linked a much more reliable source, which I have previously posted: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276212

Anyway this thread is about Chrome market share, not total market share.

15. culla

culla Registered Member

nah i don't trust anyone myself included :D

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Agreed. Let's keep the discussion on Chrome only, even as we view these statistics tables. Thanks!

17. guest

guest Guest

@ browser market share discussion

The best methodology is the one applied by OneStat. OneStat has more fidelity to the reality than any other, thanks to its research being based on a sample of 2 million visitors divided into 20,000 visitors of 100 countries each day, on sites that are using one of OneStat.com's services (OneStat is the global leader on the segment of Web Analytics and is a member of the Web Analytics Association).

Unfortunately, OneStat's last report is old (April/2009). Of the most recent reporters, StatOwl and Net Applications can be considered somewhat accurate. Net Applications, in special, improved its methodologies considerably in recent times. As for W3Schools, they themselves explain why their statistics definitely don't reflect the global state:

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hmmm... this analogy to cars has appeared in several posts in several threads. Seems to make it more meaningful or what?

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

No, I don't think so.

I tried to substitute Firefox with Google Chrome.
    However, the content of various sites couldn't been properly displayed:
    Forum Buttons and Emoticons displayed with a Question Mark (?).

Besides, KeyScrambler Free is only available to Firefox and Internet Explorer.

So, I went back to Firefox.
    It is Not the Fastest, but it is certainly the Most Trouble-Free!

20. John Bull

So you have discovered the true situation about browsers eh ? There is no browser available that can outstrip Firefox. It is far ahead of everything else. I only wish that others who just wish to try the newest piece of rubbish that comes on the market would be as logical.

John B

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm using Chrome right now & the adblocker works just fine. WOT & other extensions like the Google dictionary work perfectly as well.

A few reasons why I have started to use Chrome:

1/ It doesn't break my My Yahoo! page, unlike Firefox & SeaMonkey.

2/ I can use WOT & an adblocker, unlike Opera & Safari.

3/ It's fast & easy to use on my laptop, unlike IE.

4/ It's relatively stable & doesn't suffer from the back-button bug of SRWare Iron.

5/ I have some control over JavaScripting with the inbuilt whitelist & easily add extensions unlike K-Meleon.

6/ I've always liked WebKit based browsers since Safari 3 for Windows.

7/ The user tracking policy has changed for Chrome since version #4 making it more or less Iron.

I have always liked SeaMonkey/Firefox but SeaMonkey has a few compatibility problems (much as I love it) & Opera is fast & clever & for a long time was my default browser. Unfortunately the big 'O' cannot be used with a proper version of WOT & I like more control over the JS than just toggle on/off these days. K-Meleon is fast & has some great features but much as I loved it as well, it started to break too many pages that I use regularly. SRWare Iron has always seemed to suffer from small bugs but I reckon with time they'll figure them all out.

In conclusion, Chrome just seems to work really well for me & anyway I always have back-up browsers if it can't do anything for some reason. I can understand its popularity & I think it will continue to gradually gain market share.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Daveski,

Is it possible for you to elaborate on this point in a fresh thread away from the "mine is better than yours" clutter? I, for one, would appreciate it a lot.

23. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Ermm... I dunno if it needs a separate thread. I just like the fact that with Chrome/Iron Options-Under the Bonnet-Content Settings-JavaScript I can switch off the JS by default & an icon will appear in the URL runbox when I open a page that I haven't whitelisted. I have a choice whether to whitelist it or not with a dropdown menu. It is a bit like a very primitive NoScript.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Wokay!:) Will play with it a bit. Let's see how many of my regular sites break!

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It depends on how FF4 is received and, how quickly IE9 goes to at least Beta status. I think there's now one big issue for Chrome, and that is that FF4 will have the separated processes and already has separated plug-ins. Those two things plus Firefox's massive amount of extensions and themes will, I predict, keep Firefox ahead of Chrome for a while longer. Chrome still has rendering issues on quite a few websites I have seen, while Firefox is pretty much as accepted widely as IE is now and works ALMOST everywhere (provided we leave NoScript out of the discussion).

I don't see Chrome "dying off" anytime soon, but I don't see another 3% gain by the end of the year either, unless something major happens like, again, FF4 rocketing upward (which will happen the closer it gets to final and for sure when final arrives), and staying there, IE9 showing up, or Chrome adding some godly feature in. I read a few posts back that Google would supposedly drop Chrome if it didn't reach 10% by the end of the year. That's not going to happen, and it would stupid to make such a move.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.