Wilders Questions For Any Who Can Answer

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by troffer, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troffer

troffer Registered Member

The Wilders Boys: Paul & Pieter are brothers, yes? Or one in the same? Paul moved?/ Uh Oh, I just sent Pieter something VIA Pauls addy.

Secondly: When a moderator closes a thread we cannot post anything further, right?

And Lastly: Not complaining, just curious WHY the HTL can no longer be posted direct to site unless asked for by a moderator? Legality issues? Too much time involved in answering?

Oh yes, the SEARCH & ADVANCED search fubctions arent working properly. I use the search alot here to look into virus/trojan unfamiliars when Im stumped on a customers system. Lately I notice when I search - nothing, but yet if I scan through the threads Ill find the search word I just keyed in with no results. :(

Stacey in Oregon

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Exactly....no new posts after thread closure

Announcement link---> Stopping HijackThis Log Cleaning Services!

Thread\Post for more info---> To LWM - re HJT logs

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Err, no! :doubt:

Search is very fussy on vBulletin. There are some restrictions such as word length, as well as which non alphanumeric characters are considered part of a word and which are not. If you are searching on complex virus names, with slashes and dashes or other oddities in them then you might not find anything. If a search contains a short or long word that is not being indexed, it may invalidate the entire search, as well.

The key is to find a fairly unique real word and use that but don't include overly complex or long words that might invalidate a search. (It can take some trial and error to learn just what search words and phrases will work on vBulletin, but once you figure it out, the search works really well.)

4. troffer

troffer Registered Member

"Err, no! "

Err no to WHICH? o_O

I read the announcement, it really doesnt pinpoint WHY, which is the heart of my question? any ideas?

Your answer on the SEARCH function does clear up alot, as I was using searchwords that were very complex. Ill dumb it down next time.

My first visit here was sometime this year to ask questions regarding my own trojan, and learn to read the Hijackthis logs. Now its all I do after work, with my handy kit of fixit S/W under my arms, is go from house to house ridding users of virus/hijacker/trojans. So Im here quite often searching when I run up against a trojan Im not familiar with.

As always, thanks for the help,

Stacey in Oregon

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yes and undoubtedly you over looked one of the links in my first post....which hopefully will have the WHY your searching for. I'll also place the whole post in quotes below from an Admin....in case you overlook it again.

This link---> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42175

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

In the replies to your post above, each of us used "quote blocks" highlighting a specific question from you, and then replying our answer to that question.

See the image below which should point out that the "Err, no!" reply was specifically placed after your question about Paul and Pieter being brothers or one in the same. The answer was 'no' to both. (The uncertain Smiley was added because of the oddness of such a question. Also, it's not as if that was an either/or type thing, meaning "if they aren't brothers then they must be one in the same person." I can't imagine where you got the idea that either was true.) Each of your other questions was answered the same way.

You'll find that people often quote portions of previous questions in such a quote block and then they answer that question, following that by another quote from the previous person and another response. It's the way online forum communications are normally done.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.