Why Pick Other Firewalls Over Comodo Personal Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Well if you would have actually configured it properly you woudln't have any to very few prompts for new traffic, depending on how you set it up... You see with Kerio 2.1.5 you have to actually know what your doing, newbies need not apply.

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Like I said it still occured for me in both 2.2 and 2.3 beta. :(

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Well im not sure cause my 2 computer network was automatically setup at installation so easy for me. Tell me if the image has anything to do with what you want done.

Attached Files:

4. Coolio10

All I Can Say Is Get Ready To Enter The World Of The Easiest And Safest Free Firewall Without Any Bugs(So Far No Bugs Seen Since 2.3 Only).

If you have any questions ask me here or ask at the friendly forum...
    http://forums.comodo.com/

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

BZ
    I dont know how you interpreted my post or if you think I was posting about K 2.1.5 giving me endless popups but thats not the case.
    I have been using K 2.1.5 for a few months now and I dont receive ANY popups after it has been configured properly and run all my apps.
    My question was to the poster before me that said "Kerio remembers my responses with giving me endless pop ups" which I found very unusual.

Right now I'm just messing around with Comodo on a PC that previousy had K 2.1.5 but I dont think its going to last too long.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Kerio gives one popup/app - end of story

CPF seems to give a lot more and not remember them.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Did that. If I get a reply I may try it again.

Now that I am using Kerio again if feels a tad faster than with Comodo.

8. Shotwick

Shotwick Suspended Member

I tried out comodo today but it didn't last very long. It just didn't remember rules & kept on popping up the same thing over & over again after rebooting, even though I checked the 'remember choice' checks.

Crap, went back to Outpost.

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

O.K. now I understand.
    I thought you meant you were constantly getting popups with Kerio 2.1.5
    By the way I'm also havng trouble with CPF remembering my apps, create a rule in the application monitor only to have CPF popup and ask me if I would like to allow the same app I just made a rule for after I log off and then log back on
    Even if I check the box to remember my choice I will still get a popup.

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It is interresting that people can have such different experience. For me Comodo remembers all the rules I give it.
    o_OIt is the same with their leaktest, comodo passes for the most people but for some it doesnt (like me) <- problem solved.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  11. Coolio10

Ok you i see the problems you guys are having!

Comodo pops up because it is being extremely secure as jetico on its default!
    To fix this open comodo and Click Security Tab at the top.
    Next Press Advanced On The Left. Then click configure in the miscalaneuous box and where it says alert level frequency put the bar on very low which is 1 popup per app just like most of you want. It comes up twice or more because its asking incoming and outgoing or act as a server alerts. Once its set to very low it will come 1 popup as you all want and all you do is press the remember check box.

Hope this will sway the mind of some as your lucky since the alert control was added in this new release 2.3

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

It's not the popups, its the failure to remember when you create a rule for an app or when you check the box to remember your choice.
    When I log off and log back on its as though I never created a rule for the app in the first place.
    Also why does the box that pops up for you to remember your choice have those numbers that go in sequence like this 1 of 5, 2 of 5, 3 of 5, 4 of 5 and so on, I've had some apps go as high as 17...1 of 17, 2 of 17, etc.

If you can help me with these questions I have I just might become a "fanboy" of Comodo :D

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Try it, and after tell me the results ;)

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, CJsDad

At a guess it is probably the amount of Application Components necessary for access.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by TheTOM_SK

If this is true, then the Agnitum Co. should not be offering the program version on their website and PC World should not have made a recommendation of it on a recent magazine article. o_O

16. Coolio10

Well mine remembers fine:thumb:
    The sequence is just the different components as thequest mentioned and im sure the very low setting fixes this but i cannot explain why you get popups at every startup on same application and theres a simple way to find out.

Check the security window like the image below and make sure you have atleast one program like firefox completely given access as you see in my list each application has atleast 2 or more rules then restart and check that same list and if the rules are still there then im correct about the alerts coming everytime because comodo maybe asking about incoming/ outcoming, udp,tcp and all those other stuffs.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  17. sukarof

I claimed earlier in this thread that Comodod didnt pass the leaktest Cpil.exe (created by Comodo)
    It wasnt Comodo, it was me that f***d up somewhere. This reply from Comodo´s support solved the problem:

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/images/messageicon/embarrassment.gif

On a side note; I love the fact that Comodo can show exactly which module inside svchost.exe wants access to the net. And it lets me decide if only that module should be blocked or allowed, not blocking the rest of the modules that resides inside svchost which would be the case if I blocked svchost.exe :thumb:
    Never seen any another firewall do that (maybe they can?). They have just told me that svchost.exe wants access.

18. BlitzenZeus

This firewall keeps its firewall rules in the registry? That was done in the past with another firewall, and seen as a huge security hole. Basically programs can bypass the xp firewall, and run a server on a machine without the user knowing as long as the change was done on a admin account, many programs did it like MSN Messenger so you know malware can easily do it.

Now if any user, or even just admins since most people don't actually use user accounts, programs can write to these registry keys to insert a rule for themselves, and the user wouldn't be any wiser. However the rules would likely need to be refreshed by the program, so it possibly wouldn't take effect until next boot, which the program could wait for it the registry key was not detected.

Since you guys didn't know much at all about ICS I'm not sure if you can even confim, or deny this possible issue.

19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Version 2.3 has registry protection. Admin can not import Comodo's settings, if it is activated.

20. BlitzenZeus

Registry protection.... so a small module just monitoring certain registry keys/trees? I sure hope that they have protection from this module not being shutdown by other processes, and if/when it is shutdown ways to tell if something was imported.

21. sukarof

Yup, I noticed that when I tried to delete the rule that gave cpil.exe access to the net. I had to shut down CPF in order to do that. Btw I tried to shut down CPF firewall (cmdagent.exe) with Diamondcs Advances Process Termination v4 but could not do that. A couple of times CPF asked me if I wanted to allow APT to shut down the service and if I said no, it wouldnt terminate.
    I tried all 17 different termination methods. Now that is a good protection :isay: :)

22. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Coolio is that an actual screenshot of your firewall?
    You dont have any rules setup, all I see is "ANY" for destination and port, kind of a loose setup dont you think?

By the way the popups have stopped, I think have this FW figured out now.
    Everyone says its easy to setup but is that because they use the default rules of CPF?
    If so then ANY firewall is easy to setup.
    I've been creating rules for each and every app that I have, I will NOT allow access to ANY app under the default rules of CPF or any firewall for that matter.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is a good concern, and I will try to get better info about this...

Maybe if they have an encrypted file, and load it on the firewall starts should better...

I don't know how the others firewalls handles this...

24. Coolio10

Actually it is an actual screenshot and the setup is not loose because you see on the right side it shows incoming/ outcoming, udp,tcp and that stuff that means i get asked if i want it incoming/outgoing udp/tcp but i usually only get 2 popups per app that was changeable as i already explained.

The registry protection is actually kinda of hard to deactivate unless a virus controls your mouse and knows wht to click. As you can see in the picture you can only activate and deactivate it yourself and i checked task manager for any process related to it and i couldnt find any so that means its part of the cpf.exe process and sukarof just told you he tried 17 different termination programs to shut it down and that wasnt possible so...Next approach is registry but how do you edit comodo through registry when the registry protection is on and you cant shutdown comodo without asking..YOU DONT :rolleyes:

Image on left is on very low setting and image in right is very high setting.
    Also shown is the registry protection activate/deactivate box.
    There alert control goes from:
    Very High(Pros ONLY)
    High
    Medium
    Low
    Very Low(1 Popup Per App :thumb: )

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4513/untitledpo3.th.jpg http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5883/untitled2xv4.th.jpg

25. Coolio10

Ill post at the forum and see if anyone can be of help and post it here for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.