Why I am also finished with a AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I did 1 year with out AV with out incident only use of windows firewall and LUA.

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Im going to turn of my home security now too lol..:argh:

3. Dark Shadow

Home security you say, unless you have cellular back or up or line tamper,Easy Defeat.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Larryb

I wasn't responding to your post 19 but your post 17. And while making a bit light you did make the statement that users running with an AV must be crazy.

I think Blue's response fit what I was getting at. And like I said I wouldn't recommend my approach to everyone.

Also I saw someone else mention boot to restore. That isn't my solution, and I see that as the last ditch fix, not prevention.

Pete

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hola Pete-san:

From previous of your posts, I recall that you run OA, maybe another HIPS as well, plus Sandboxie. True? If so, you might ought to caveat the fact that you do not use an AV by revealing the other grrreat security stuff that you DO run.

To wit - not running an AV while sandboxed & HIPpy is much different from not running an AV when un-boxed & un-HIPpy. Wot?

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

...or not running AV when using Linux :D :ninja:

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Agree totally, for instance two applications I endorse:

A) ThreatFire, originally a behavior blocker, but at first intrusion it checks its AV-data base (I think originally from Virus Buster)

B) Rising AV, essentially an AV, but you can use it without the AV component ans a full fledged HIPS

So an AV is not just a black list scanner anymore.

Also a blacklist is not a blacklist anymore, for instance PRSC/NAB use behavior patterns, which can be configured and are stored in a external table. Is this pattern a blacklist?

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I don't like the Reboot & Restore method since I often install new programs and create new documents. I've got a method that always works for me. Antivirus and sandbox. If I got a suspicious program, I put it in a sandbox, with read only access to my C: drive and the registry, blocked access to my D: drive, and blocked access to the internet. If I see any suspicious activity, I delete the sandbox, and send the suspicious file for analysis. Usually after a while it becomes detected.

9. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Not every, many, newbies come and go.

A good way to create peace of mind. :D :D :D

Go on... your system remains faster.

10. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Let's stop the quoting of Freud here, man............what a lines.........very hard for me to follow and understand. I like to read direct things regarding AV programs, if possible?

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This is true, but we must ensure that our other security is setup correct ie. IPTables, SSH keys, Apache etc. There are still security considerations even in this OS world, albeit a little different but they are still there. I have VBACL_Linux installed on all my *nix boxes for the occasional scan, mainly on the Windows partitions, Samba shares etc. So yes no RT AV is ok in Linux, but we still must be careful to not let some skiddy own our boxen. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  12. Peter2150

You are absolutely right. I have posted what I do on several occasions, and I just didn't want to be like a broken record, and post it over and over again. I will go post my full approach in the thread on security setups and then link it here when done.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A strong wall, indeed, Pete!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, back at the topic ---

14. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

A lot of funky things can happen between reboots while on line. I agree with having a strong firewall to accompany any virtual surfing. As far as having an antivirus, you never know exactly what is on that commercial DVD or friend's USB drive.

Just my opinion. :p

SourMilk out

15. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I agree with Sour Milk on this one. A baddie can run quite a while undetected between reboots and by the time you do a reboot it may be too late. But with an AV or HIPS or some other method of detection, you can stop it from installing and doing any harm and then reboot to get rid of it.

16. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

agreed... and those who think easy restoration with tools like returnil make prevention a wasted effort are only thinking about intrusion and not extrusion (as has been described by various others in this thread)...

might be interesting to note that not too long ago yahoo was serving malware... the shallow end of the pool isn't necessarily completely safe, one can drown in only a couple of inches of water...

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I can't imagine myself without an AV ;)

18. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I couldn't also, until I got tired of AV failing and decided to give it a try.
    But "no AV" != "no security software"...

19. kwismer

well, that's a matter of semantics... given the history of the AV industry's products, one could also say AV != scanners...

20. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Well you're right.
    AV's have become much more than just scanners. But the main feature is that they still rely on a blacklist scanner as their main protection feature.

The important thing here is that a clean result of an AV doesn't guarantee a clean file, so why bother at all?
    They do have the advantage that you can identify a known bad file before any other choice has to be done, and this saves some time.
    But for me the performance hit is not worth it.

BTW, I still use some AV's on demand, just to see if any file once considered clean is now known to be infected.

21. kwismer

have become? always have been...

because a clean result from a scanner means that of all the threats in existence, most of them are absent from the system...

just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it's not worth it... don't let the great (but impossible) become the enemy of the good...

so in reality it's not scanners you're arguing against, it's just on-access scanning...

22. Dark Shadow

Hi peter,No broken record at all.It is the first I have seen of it and I must say clever indeed and looks to be rock solid.

23. Peter2150

Thanks djohn. It's seems to be serving me well, and very light indeed.

Pete

24. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

AV is till the bread and butter of security applications to me.

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I believe I'll keep mine. Just in case. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.