Why does Paypal want everything, but my DNA!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I've been using Paypal for years, and now they all of a sudden want a copy of my Social Security Card or national tax ID, Proof of Address, and a photo ID! What the hell! Has anyone else experienced this with Paypal recently? Why the hell do they need all that for? Isn't my bank account information enough?! They made my account limited. They said it was due to newly passed laws. Do the laws seriously require all this information to conduct online purchases now? So, anyone else gone through this with Paypal recently?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It might have something to do with your account. Paypal might have find something that they consider suspicious, and in those cases they require to fax them a lot of document copies.
    As a side note, I live in Romania, so I was considered guilty by default :). That meant that a few years ago when I created my account I had to fax all those documents in order to let me use their service, so I know how it is, unfortunately... And I clearly remember that they said that if they discover something they deem "wrong" with the account, they might request additional proof.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

There's no way for us to answer that without knowing what country this is referring to. Don't send a single thing to them until all this can be confirmed. I cringe every time I'm forced to go through them to pay for something because I don't trust them very much.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Some years ago I opened a Paypal account to buy something in eBay. Some weeks later I received an e-mail asking me to send within 3 days and via physical mail copy of my passport and other personal information. I never sent anything, they kept sending e-mails for some time and later blocked my account. No more Paypal for me.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd never send such information to anyone, except a public institution like a school or to get a driver's license, etc. Never for such things, especially not my photo and social security number just to anybody. o_O

6. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

eBay seller for 12 years and use PayPal for payments w/ no problems - just added my bank account. You sure that wasn't a phishing attempt?

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

just make sure it's not a scam. e.g. phishing email.

paypal froze my account once when i used it from an IP address outside the US, and then I had to call them from a US phone number to get it open again. but requests for SS#, photo ID, etc. would ring alarm bells with me.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Strange, I never had to supply that(I'm in the Netherlands.) They only needed transfer €0.01 from and to my bank account to make it a verified Paypal account and link it directly to my bank account, that wasn't even obligated but some sites only accept Paypal if it comes from a verified account. Still, they seem a fan of censorship(blocking payments for Wikileaks and others without even a court order.)

:thumb:

9. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've been using PayPal to send and receive money (occasional buy and sell on Ebay) for over seven years and have never been prompted to send any personal information other than bank account and credit card info.

As others have already posted, this seems suspicious.

Perhaps an e-mail to PayPal asking for specific answers to specific questions will elicit more information.

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

This thread has just reminded me why i dont use paypal.:cautious:

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Its not a scam or phishing attempt. It request this information when I log into my account. They actually want me to copy all these documents, and send them to them.

12. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

They want that information to satisfy "know your customer" law, and to prevent money laundering and fraud. PayPal has been getting stricter over the last year or so. They're probably being pressured. I no longer use PayPal.

13. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Sounds odd to me – can only assume it's related to the country you live.
    You could try asking them why they want the info but I'm not sure you will get a straight answer. I've found PayPal difficult to deal with.
    I recently queried some anomalies with my account and all I got back from them was some standard instructions on verifying account details (the kind of stuff easily obtainable from their FAQs) – they did not, in any way, answer my query.

Good luck!

14. Because paypal has major issues with money laundering, scamming and god knows what else. It's the best online payment system out there for buyers, IF you use your financial institution for charge-backs. They might reject your claim, but when a bank steps in you will get your money back.

15. mirimir

And that's why it's a nightmare for sellers ;) Buyers scam too.

16. Cutting_Edgetech

I live in the USA. I have used Paypal for years. They have always been able to obtain their funds from me. I have purchased thousands of dollars of Computer parts, software, and other service over the years. They have been great up until now. I'm going to contact them, and see what the deal is. I don't like the ideal of sending copies of the information they are requesting. Their is potential for it to get into the wrong hands either internally or externally.

17. mirimir

The US is really getting serious about money laundering. Also, as others have noted, PayPal no longer accepts US gift cards for non-US purchases. And I've heard that MoneyPack is requiring more ID too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.