Why does NOD32 scan websites ??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Gladd8tor, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor Registered Member

Hi ... I am curious as to why every now and then nod32 will scan websites that I visit ?? And it cause the webpage to load very slow , How can I turn this off , I really don't like the idea it causes the webpages to load slow , I notice this happening right above where my clock is located on the right bottom corner , It never did this before and now it seem to happen often , why is that ?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The box that comes up above your clock should be the download info box for nod. It sounds like the web pages are just loading slow.

bigc

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Web browsers are at risk.

Where does it stop you ask? It doesn’t! Some web browsers like IE are affected by web applications that can load by merely visiting a website. When visiting a website with a non mainstream web browsers like Mozilla you may find that a script will not load and functionality is lost, even though the browser is compatible will all internet browsing standards. What is happening here? Well some companies load applications onto your machine without you knowing about it. These applications load themselves onto your local machine and typically report on topics of interest and habits that a user may have via http only when you are browsing making them very difficult to detect. Recommendation: set our browser security settings to high. By doing this you gain security and lose some functionality but privacy is worth more than functionality to some.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Spyware_Adware_Programs.html

Also, from the help file.

Enable HTTP checking – if enabled, all traffic through HTTP is scanned.

Ports used by the HTTP protocol – a list of ports used by the HTTP protocol.

Automatically detect HTTP communication on other ports, too - enables automatic detection of HTTP communication also on other than the ports specified.

In the Actions section you can specify how IMON will act if an incoming infiltration from the Internet is detected.

Display warning window with action selection - IMON will show up a warning window and allow the user to terminate the connection with the particular server

Automatically deny download of infected file - IMON will automatically terminate the connection

Compatibility setup provides an option to toggle between active and passive mode (better efficiency and better compatibility respectively) used for a particular application.

IMON works in two modes: „passive“ and „active“. In passive mode, portions of a downloaded file are continuously passed on to the target application whilst IMON stores a temporary copy of each of the fragments. When the last fragment is detected, the whole file is scanned for viruses. If an infiltration is detected, a warning window appears and the connection with the particular server is terminated. A disadvantage of that is that the already downloaded portion of the file may already contain a fundamental portion of a malicious code. What's more, if the application repeatedly attempts to download infected file, it may use the already downloaded data and request only the rest of the file. In such case, IMON may not find nothing suspicious in the remaining portion.

In active mode, IMON first downloads and scans whole file and then passes it on to the target application. This procedure is safer because in the case of an infiltration the application does not receive any portion of the downloaded file. A disadvantage is that the application receives all data at once, therefore it cannot show the download status properly. Therefore, if the download lasts for more than 5 seconds, a small window showing the dowload progress pops up beneath the system tray. Active mode is not suitable for certain types of data which requires a continual data flow (e.g. multimedia, streaming video/audio).

Switch to passive (compatible) mode for files larger than ... KB - if enabled, files larger than the specified size will be downloaded in passive mode automatically.

4. Gladd8tor

Gladd8tor Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor for your explanation and , I do have IMON set in active mode ...

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Gladd8tor

You're welcome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.