Why do you run Windows instead of Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'polls' started by nmaynan, Jan 7, 2011.

?

Why do you run Windows instead of Ubuntu?

Poll closed Apr 7, 2011.
  1. programs I need only run on Windows

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. drive compatibility/performance is better on Windows (especially for crucial things like Printers)

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. I just like Windows better overall

13 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Ubuntu has too many bugs

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. I like applications available on Windows better (e.g., Windows Media Player)

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. I've never tried Ubuntu

8 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. I like Ubuntu better in some ways but find Windows' usability better overall

16 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. I don't have time (don't want to) learn how to use a new OS

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

OMG, that thing is so freaking overused in some forums, as someone said above, i hate when people have an "elitist" or "arrogance" towards some simple questions sometimes. Unless the thread have been asked like a hundred times there is no reason to help an uninformed person.

And usually, if the question is so easy, why you don't just answer it, with the time people wasted reading and answering they could've posted something that contributed. :D :thumb:

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey 3GUSER,
    I have found the same sort of issues.
    there lacks a central knowledge.
    example 1. if i wanted to setup a samba server with debian i would have to read the debian documentation on how to install it and then have to visit the samba website on how to set it up. I would then need to visit another website on how to secure the operating system.

the good things about linux and opensource software is also the downfall. freedom is good but at the end of the day most linux distributions are nearly the same. i would go as far to say that the best features of all the package management systems should be merged in to one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree with the other posters, XP should take about 15-20 seconds to shut down (or even less on some machines). Something is definitely not right to take 15 minutes. It is however difficult to troubleshoot, I'd start by uninstalling programs which might create a conflict (security applications are usually likely to create such problems).

There's also an application you might like to install from MS: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

I hope this helps.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use windows mainly because the games i like to play require windows. If the day comes that they make the games i like for both then i'd use wateva is most convenient for me.

5. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

Games.

Regards.

6. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

GAMES !
    I m not refering to Tetris or something like this :) it s about FPS games.
    And there is another motivation for me.
    I dont like Ubuntu , i liked Mepis i like Mandriva ,i prefer KDE as interface simple as that.
    In my opinion Ubuntu sucks ,no offense.I simply don t like it.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've run into that on a lot of other forums as well, not just linux sites. Then the search engine won't accept your search term for one reason or another. On a few sites I visit, the search won't accept an entry like DEP, SRP, etc.

Regarding the long shutdown for XP, do you have it set to clear the swap/paging file at shutdown? This can take quite a bit of time if enabled.
    Check these 2 registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"

Are the values 1 or 0?
    If decently tuned, XP should shut down in about 5 seconds and boot up in 30-40 seconds, even on older hardware.

On the original subject, I don't see any real advantage to using Ubuntu or another Linux as opposed to what I already have. Windows can be made plenty secure at no cost. Yes, that does take some time and learning, but so does learning a new OS. My older PC has Puppy Linux, plus a poor mans install of Knoppix in addition to 3 versions of Windows. I almost never use the Linux systems.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

Thanks so much for this info. I checked both and both variables are set to "1"

Is this how it should be?

9. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

Well I switched it to 0 and restarted comp. Then the next shutdown took only like 10 seconds :) :) :)

You solved it! Thanks so much.

10. xandros

xandros Registered Member

i dont like ubunto or motento or kotentu
    windows good for me and all of my friends use it

11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I don't know why we have to have threads like this. One could ask why do I run Linux instead of Windows?

I don't use Ubuntu, my daughter does though. I use another flavor as my primary OS, see my signature, it's listed first. Been using it since version 1.01. I've tried a lot of Linux flavors. I just keep coming back to my current flavor.

I use Windows too, come is handy when a friends ask me for assistance. It's nice to have it available in a VM. I also like to stay up to date. I like Windows, I used it at work (along with Unix and a couple other OS's) before I retired. I just like Linux better. It fits me. I can do everything I need on Linux. That includes running my favorite Windows email client via Wine. I also run a few .NET applications in Linux, via mono. I run my tax preparation software in Windows, just work better in Windows. I don't play a lot of games on the PC, that's what a game console is for.

I think this sums it up the best.

12. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

I downloaded ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso and loaded it into VMware Player.

Regards,

Nathan

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hardware still after all these years has to be considered, gaming is still rather poor, Linux variants of Windows software either not existing at all or subpar. With exception of the FOSS crowd, all Linux really has to offer is security, for the time being.

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I hate dual booting. Such a pain.

That and driver issues... and ease of use...

I would always need to dual boot for games.

15. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cause its the crappiest system around and I am a sadist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.