Why do you AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Lollan, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Obviously, there's a lot of critics out there when It comes to using an AV product. Normally, as long as you don't go to questionable sites or sign up for spam mail, etc, you'll be just fine online. Outside of virus infections I've purposedly put on my system for testing, I think I may have been infected twice before.

Personally, It's just something fun to experiment with for me, seeing what a AV is capable of detecting. I look forward to large scale infections just to see how I'll fare. In the last couple of months, I've done extensive testing on my home PCs and it's all very fun for me. Looking up where they came from, what they modify and how they are removed.

I'm not trying to say viruses are more abundant than ever by any means, just saying I am generally pretty safe when it comes to surfing.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Imagine a computer and OS incapable of infection.This forum and many others probably wouldn't exist anymore.I find it not only interesting but alot of fun reading the different topics, threads and the responses to them, especially when i'm indirectly refered to as a "Norton Basher".Testing different security setups, how they react to each other, it's just something that i enjoy.I don't know why, but i do!.

3. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I don't feel so bad now, rofl. It's kinda sad when you don't have anything better to do with your money and time than buy systems for the sole use of putting viruses on them and testing the applications that remove them. :D

.. But it's sooooo fun!

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You can be infected by other means. Staying away from bad sites, bad software, keeping your e-mail private....those are only some of the obvious ways to help minimize your risk from infection.

BUT..even in keeping your e-mail relatively private...say you are listed in someone elses address book..and they get infected...BAM..the worm could send itself to you. OK, web mail? Or a non-MS based e-mail client...better, but not 100% safe.

Instant Message at all? They can spread through that.

Not behind a router or good firewall? Under 1 minute plugged into the internet on a public IP can get get.:blink:

Or the big one...suppose you're on a network with other users (could happen...many homes have several PCs now, or...the dreaded office..workplace). They are capable of spreading across a private network...so if someone else on your network gets hit...BAM...you could too. :gack:

What if your PC gets hit with a trojan and becomes a bot that helps spread some infection..and you don't know about it. :thumbd:

You mention your PC got hit twice. Hope it was a relatively easy fix of killing a few files and reg entries, rather than a format/reinstall. I support computers for a living....the last thing I want to do when I get home is support mine...I'd rather be doing other things with my "time off at home" than fixing or rebuilding my home PC...like having a few pints at the pub! :D

5. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I'm quite familiar with how to become infected, you could list all of that under my "etc" in the OP. And yes, they were easy fixes, long time ago, think I was using AVG at the time.

My job for the last year and a half has been Internet support, but I enjoy working with viruses as long as I can work at my own pace in the comfort of my own home. I'm not old enough to even buy alcohol yet :p

6. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

I AV, therefore I am.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't AV, therefore I am not... :p

8. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

Although you may have only been infected twice before, and it may be an easy job for you, personally, to clean your system, you need to think about the bigger picture. In the short time you were infected, you may have been responsible for infecting hundreds of other machines or for sending out huge numbers of spam emails. We all have a responsibility to other users of the Net, not just ourselves. For example, would it be acceptable to walk around in public with a machine gun and say, well I know all about guns and it's only accidentally gone off twice in a crowded public place?

Just some food for thought :)

Ned

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why? Because it's better to be safe than sorry. If you don't intend to pay for security then use free antiviruses. They mostly provide security level completely comparable with payable software or they even superseed it.
    Even AVG is better than nothing but avast! or AntiVir would be my choice for sure. What about Blaster cae when it was pushed to all flawed systems? You don't have to go anywhere, even not on questionable sites to get it.
    So it's not so easy in these days...

10. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to push the idea of not running an AV...

I wouldn't dare get on a network without one ;)

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Too late Lollan, I will try to live without AV in the future.
    The Christians were also a small community in the beginning (Jesus and twelve angry men) and now we have millions of Christians.
    The same happens now with non-AV-users, a small community that will grow every day and AV-users will try to eliminate us, just like the Christians, but we non-AV-users won't quit. :)

12. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I will never forgive myself! mrtwolman, comfort me!

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The AV users won't have to try to eliminate you non AV users Viruses,trojans,worms and keyloggers and other malware will do that for us.;)

14. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Don't leave out muslims and others in this comparison please. There are far more sortalikes starting small and growing big[/i] from a historic perspective. Just putting things into perspective - no intention to start some sort of a 'religion' issue.

In the end, AV-companies can't do without (new) malware being released and vice versa. Today, it's merely good business - for both parties involved.

15. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

*Hyperbole alert*

... and if the virus writers don't think they're getting their fair share, they unionize and go on strike. Lulling the masses into thinking “you'll be just fine online”.

... and when everyone is sanguine ... it rains viruses for forty days and forty nights ... only to tear apart the unprotected like ... throwing christians to the lions.

*End alert*

I should say ... (alphabetically) Animism - Buddhism - Hinduism - Islam - Judaism ... metaphors, I do not know, so forgive the exclusion.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

We will do without AV if it kills us.:D

I guess that is not a good alternative for me.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.