Why do I get errors installing Firefox addons?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

And firefox updates for that matter. Always I see an update is available, but when I try to download it I get this error:

Attached Files:

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Mozillaline
    More probabilities at the link?

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

A couple of high probabilities:
    1. Security. Whether internal Firefox or external product.
    2. Corrupt Profile

For the internal Firefox security, look here:

Attached Files:

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

That's a similar error I get when our WAN/LAN firewall at work does not like something I'm trying to download. So, I agree that it could be something security related intefering with the download.

5. HandsOff

Franklin - Thanks for reminding me where they stash the cache settings! In this case I had already cleared it due to my settings in *clear private data*

I had chosen cache of 89 MB because I was wanting to slowly increase it...which I will do again right now!

----

I am going to shut down firefox prior to my next step....

6. HandsOff

AKAjohndoe- Your suggestion with checking site exeptions may just be on to something. Note, I did try to allow the two addresses you showed and it did not help...but...I did notice something.

I have a Huge number off addresses in the list, and all of them are blocked! Possibly as many as 10,000 sites! Is it possible that they represent the cumulative total of all the sites that all of my security programs have ever blocked since I first started using firefox?

How many such sites do you have listed? I would hate to clear them if they are actually protecting me, but this seems a bit excessive!

7. HandsOff

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

This is frustrating! I thought I was on to something when I happened on to an example of someone using Internet Explorer to download mozilla addons! So I tried it...

...First of all, Internet Explorer was pretty slow! Secondly it could not connect with the download site, or some such thing! Basically the same behavior. It navigates to the location to download, but the download does not proceed!

It is almost as if addons.mozilla.org cannot handle the traffic!

8. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Are you by any chance using ThreatFire?
    Sometimes I get a similar error message (don't remeber exactly the wording) and if I suspend TF and proceed again to download and install the add-on it works fine.

9. HandsOff

Nope. I have even tried disabling my firewall, but to no avail!

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If IE can't connect either, i would assume a problem on your pc. Check security programs as suggested, hosts file, http proxy, etc.

11. HandsOff

Thanks, Pedro!

I agree that makes the most sense, However...

...Updates have always been a pain with Firefox!

I do not like how I am not even asked if I wish to save or install a download. Maybe that is derived from having had automatic updates before. I had to discontinue that settings with addons since it is a pain it the butt to have it constantly slowing down starting FF and rarely coming through with updates.

I did find a temporary (maybe permanent) solution. I simply use my laptop and download the updates using Internet Explorer, which at least has the decency to allow you to save the file. (Actually, it may not have much choice since it can not install it!)

Take heart everyone! You can actually get computers to do what you want them to much of the time!

-HandsOff

12. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Perhaps you could create a new profile and see if the new profile allows you to install addons into the new profile.

I had a problem installing add ons a while back.
    After days of trying every solution i could find to solve the problem i ended up deleting my profile and starting again.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

HandsOff, you can right click - 'save link as', or click 'See All Versions' and download from there. Is that what you wanted?
    To choose the download location with all downloads, in Preferences, Main - 'Always ask me where to save files'.

However, i don't see how this can be related to your main problem. Personally, really, personally, i would try Franklin's link first.
    If that fails, backup bookmarks, and any and every file in Firefox profile i would regard as important (Scrapbooks, sessions, etc.), or backup the whole folder and figure out what's important later, and start from scratch.
    Sometimes it's not worth all the hassle.

14. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

That does seem unusual, to say the least. The picture in post#3 is the entire list on my machine.

15. HandsOff

Not worth all the hassles is right! I will eventually uninstall Firefox completely, delete all folders and registry entries, and re-install.

The only thing I will probably make a backup copy of is about:config.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.