Whoo Hooo!!! Vista Rocks!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

ooh-ooh, I can. LOL Then again my 2k, and Wifes` XP Pro PCs are a bit tweaked. ;)
    But I totally agree, the majority of average users just want it to work the first time and every time there after, irregardless of how they unknowingly torture their PCs.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think windows 2000 pro was the best and most stable microsoft OS.
    its a shame i cant buy it now lol.
    lodore

3. f00dl3

f00dl3 Registered Member

As much complaining you can do about Vista, it's not going to stop DirectX 10 from turning in to the ultamite gaming standard. By eliminating the need to rely on the CPU for graphics processing, it will make any system uncapable of running DX10 (Linux, Mac, XP) appear 30 years behind in technology.

Even if they do reverse engineer DirectX 10 to run on WINE or Mac, it's still not going to reap the hardware advantages as well as Vista, and you would probably have better framerates on a 386.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Games, sure. Not being a necessity for many of us:D , it's good if it can handle them well. But i'll wait to see. There's not many games for Vista now AFAIK, i can wait;) . I won't pay 700$ to play games. It's a non issue.

And i don't know if DirectX10 is that better than some other solution. Only from what i read. I'm average Joe there. What i know is they don't make games for Linux.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

window blinds has been diverting the themes to use the gpu for ages its nothing new.
    lodore

6. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

and of course DirectX10 having to be limited to Vista was a marketing decision
    look at the carrot, ignore the harness and stick

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

has anyone heard of a games console?
    there made for playing games:D
    the thing with games consoles is that the game was designed for that console so its gonna have alot less problems and thats normally the only thing its doing.
    with games on a pc the computer is doing other stuff as well which means it could slow down or crash during the game. also games consoles are like £180-450
    one graphics card can be like £300 and then you need that £600 gpu to go with it and that expensive ram.
    i dont think ms would make directx10 it so good that people will stop buying xbox360
    lodore

8. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

strangely my copy of asteroids doesnt require DirectX :p

and its an only child <sad>

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Back to the Topic, Also I have noticed a couple of things, it IS Actually possible to do a clean formated partition install with an Vista upgrade disk, contrary to belief:

1:Boot your compuer, and choose boot from CD or DVD
    2 Do not enter serial at this stage:
    3: Choose the version of Windows you have purchased
    4:Install Vista

After Vista has installed enter your Vista Disk and install from the desktop,and do a clean install,and this time enter your serial number, Vista will move the current Vista to Windows.old (Which you can delete later)
    You now have a clean Formated Vista full version (not upgrade) an no possible traces of XP :D :cool:

Just a trick I learned :cautious: Saves you $$$ on the difference between Full & Upgrade :thumb:
    I sugest you defrag your drive immediately after Installing Vista,as Vista takes quite a substantial space to install at first, defragging will reduce the disk space used :thumb:

Also by not entering your serial,when you Bot from CD/DVD you can actually choose to trial any version of Vista for 30 Days :cautious:

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is actually 30 x 24 houres. So if you run a PC for 8 houres a day, it will last for 3 months.
    I am not sure, if it was not fixed, but I remember, that after 3 days, I still had 30 days left.

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Anyone know if the built in defragment tool in Vista as improved a lot compared to XP?

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nope its worse lol.
    it doesnt even have a display of the fragmentation levels.

but i do want to ask a question.
    before vista came out heard that if you have a bad driver you will be able to end that driver without afecting the rest of the system and no reboot needed
    can this be done in vista?
    lodore

13. TairikuOkami

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is still diskeeper 2007 and perfectdisk to buy:D
    lodore

15. TairikuOkami

Well, I have removed MS defrag and I use AusLogics Defrag [free, fast, detail info] instead. [​IMG]

16. Arup

Arup Guest

PC Mag India in its latest issue tested Vista versus XP, specially apps like PS etc, every test the Vista was 13-15% slower than XP, only in multi tasking with dual cores did it show a 15% advantage over XP, guess Vista has a long way to go before it can justify its $$$ price.

17. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have just read that once Vista is installed as an upgrade it is no longer possible to go back to windows Xp -- is this true or just scare tactics ? I tried out vista and did not initially like it so restored my system image - so no problem there.
    But I would be concerned to discover that should I reformat and then start again that my product key might be rejected.

18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I still use 2k - it works, stable and does everything I want it to.

I think there are some still available on Ebay - genuine or not I have no idea.

19. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have just read about this.

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2007/20070202_vista_upgrade_invalidates_previous_os.htm

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

OT posts removed once again and suggest for those that wish to discuss Linux or operating systems unrelated to the thread topic....Please find an appropriate thread or create one.

Thanks,
    Bubba

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cool your right windows 2k is a very good OS
    lodore

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Peter - restoring is not a problem - I have done that also. The thing that concerns me is that anyone who does not have a good basic windows Xp image may one day want to format and re-install. when they get to entering the Product key the idea is that it will be invalid.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are absolutely right, and I don't really know about that. I just can't conceive of doing that kind of upgrade without a good image. I don't even do Windows upgrades without that.

Pete

25. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

To tell you the truth Peter I don't know, I just thought it was relevant to the thread:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.