Who is using Prevx1 free and likes it.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Just enable Expert mode and answer any prompts with Allow making sure to place a check in the box to "Always Remember". Doing this creates personal rules. Otherwise you can go into Advanced, Protection Plus, and set Network Protection to Disabled. If there's anything there that you don't know how to do, let me know what it is and I will be more specific, but I assume everyone here knows how to do those things.

Personally when I game I disable and shutdown everything that I possibly can (security or otherwise) except for my firewall. I suppose some of the more popular MMORPG's might warrant some additional security (depending on the game and if they might have any worms), but otherwise you're not doing anything that is going to expose you to a lot of malware and games generally run better when they're not competing for system resources.

2. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

I have--at least for the time being. After running a file scan (the default smart scan in ABC mode), my system froze up on me. No biggie, really--a reboot cured it--but it gave me pause. Left it active nonetheless. Then I attempted to download a file (downloader pro 2.0 from breezesys.com) and got an error midway saying the directory was read-only. Shutdown Prevx1 and was able to d/l the file no problem (scanned with NOD32, AVG AS, A2 and TR and it's perfectly safe). Not sure what happened, but as I already have ZA, NOD32, and AVG AS all active on my system and have never had a problem, I don't feel pressed to keep yet another anti-malware scanner running all the time... at least not one that has given me two problems in the last two days.

Also somewhat oddly, when I pressed the manual update button (just to test it out), Prevx1 updated and then presented a msgbox announcing that since it detected malware, it would now shift to 31-days-until-license-required mode. What's odd is that no malware was actually detected or reported... I was just doing an update of Prevx1.

Finally, this thread would indicate that Prevx1 is not all that reliable in detecting malware in real-time (though a nice safeguard in preventing it from executing once it is downloaded onto your system).

So for now, I'm inclined to leave it inactive and maybe try again with the next upgrade.

Dan

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Prevx1 founders and developers have really done their homework with this program. Although i have it and am impressed with it's strong ability to prevent malicious intrusions of any sort, i keep it in storage right now because it's that good. I would never get any work done testing malwares with this. Reminds me of the old days of AVG6 on my 98 when i made collecting samples a hobby only to have a database update auto-turned-on the schedule feature and wiped out the whole archive. I was every much as amazed as i was disappointed.

4. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I did like prevx1 ,but i feel that kis6 is enough pretection with it's proactive solution.Just could not get prevx1 to play nice with FEAR combat,but it worked well with all my other games.

I finally got KIS6 to play nice in games.Only in F.E.A.R combat does it have a hesatition in the first 10 secs then everything is fine.

I have my NF4 active armor firewall tightly configured.I do also use avg 7.5 anti-syware and superantispyware to do scans.

5. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I love Prevx1, and I'm currently running it now.
    The only cons about it are that its uses a high amount of resources, but that doesn't really bother me because I have 1.5G of ram :D :thumb:

6. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

likes about prevx1:
    no endless notifies, actually no notifies at all.
    light on resource 10-15mb ram use.

dislikes about prevx1:
    it donesnt have installtion location choices
    it may report some registry items as malwares and crash the windows on Chinese XP system.( like A2-free )

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Could you please write in to support by clicking the tray icon and then clicking "Talk to Support"?

8. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Nice ram usage

I am getting the 37mb for pxagent and 20mb for pxconsole

I submitted a ticket, they are not much help as of yet... THey did say however that I do not need my other security products as Prevx1 is all that is needed!

I use OA v2/ FW and nod32 with it.

*** Just heard back from them, they say it *may* be an incapability with NOD32

Anyone use this with NOD and NOT have a large ram usage?

Thanks

9. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

I tried it with NOD32 and while I didn't have problems with it taking large amounts of ram, I did incur other problems (see my post above) so maybe there is some conflict with NOD32.

Dan

10. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

No RAM problems or conflicts with NOD32 here. The two seem to co-exist very nicely on my laptop.

11. SpyDie

SpyDie Registered Member

FWIW, I use NOD32 and Prevx, works fine here. Ram Usage is great at 6mb for PXAgent and 8mb for PXConsole.

I did receive a copy of Prevx from the CC contest,I received 2 keys aswell. If anyone wants my other key, feel free to PM me. <Key has now gone>

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  12. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

If anyone does have a license key kicking around, I most definitely would use it. Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: Received...Many thanks to danny9.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  13. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

If anyone would be so kind give me a spare key, that would be cool!:eek: If not that's fine, thank all and good info on prevx1:D

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hello and some very hearty greetings are in order. Great to see you posting again SpyDie :thumb:

Sincerely hope to find more of your presence in this audience again soon and more often. :cool:

Is anyone experienced any real concern with Prevx as to it's depending on continuous access to it's internet web address(s) for examining for matches in Prevx community database?

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Have to say that I had high hopes for Prevx1 but in tests it appears to be too much of a drain on my PC, especially when it has continuous access to it's internet web address(s) for examining for matches in Prevx community database. Shame as I liked the approach, concept and the GUI.:doubt:

Having to look elsewhere to fulfill my requirement; candidates at the moment are PRSC or OA v2 (when I can get hold of the upcoming RC).;)

16. Old Monk

Hi

Do you still need a key ? If you do, enable pm's ;)

17. Old Monk

Seems odd how different members seem to get quite differing resource usage with Prevx

I've it run alongside numerous OA beta versions and neither 'drain' much resources and seem to run well together.

I'm sure you'll really like the OA finished article but I plan running the two together for as long as they co-exist nicely.

18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Ok I will try to enable pm's...Ok I think I got it:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

The reason i just had to drop it. Theres plenty enough network activity that needs filtered as-is and i can't live with constant dependability of Prev1 to have to tether to a website. And besides, and lately, websites are becoming targeted more numerously and knocked completely off-air more often then not in these most recent of reports lately, which seem to be making for grave concern over such attacks. I find the reasoning of offering auto-manual download's via the origin of the community database as well as mirrors of much more safe security in the event of the possiblity of much more concentrated attacks directed to servers outside the loop.

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

We've already had numerous attacks. We've taken every precaution to ensure the community database stays online at all times. Do remember that we are an anti-malware company, fully aware of today's threat landscape as our malware analysts research and combat it every day, not just a behavior blocker vendor that's just making simple hashes of files for user convenience. If someone is still wary, they can also set it to query on unknown files. Of course there is also some offline support, which is continually being enhanced. It would also kill and remove anything found in memory if something was found, keep in mind that it does have a memory scanner (similar to how BOClean scans memory).

Anyone that sees RAM usage above 10~15MB really should write in to support. Out of hundreds of thousands of users I've only seen a few people on the forum mention this, and I'm not aware of anyone actually helping to track down the issue. Until we can recreate the issue, we won't be able to fix it. If you include VMs and multi-boot systems, I've got Prevx1 installed about 15 times, each with completely different sets of software, and the highest I'm seeing is about 12MB.

21. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Thanks old monk, Prevx is a good product!:cool:

22. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

are we talking physical memory or virtual memory? and truthfully i don't know which effects actual system resources the most.

if i look at physical memory at this moment using PE not TM:

Physical Memory/Working Set usage of pxconsole.exe is 13.7 mb

Virtual Memory/Private Bytes for pxconsole is 23.7mb

Physical Memory/Working Set for PXAgent.exe is 1.6mb

Virtual Memory/Working set for PXAgent.exe is 50.9mb

again i don't know what value is the significant resource impactor, nor do i know what value others are reporting.

i have refrained from putting in a support ticket myself as others have reported Prevx is simply trying to sluff it off on something else, so i am attempting to avoid any unpleasant exchanges.

i would like to know which value is the benchmark for measuring resource usage.

Mike

23. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Memory usage in Process explorer: attached

Attached Files:

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks Notok for that explaination. I accept this practice to date is been nothing short of mostly a complete success but allow me to scratch your head for a moment concerning skeptics, not critics, just skeptics. Is there ever been any room for consideration in the Prevx1 camp that might could accommadate those potential (skeptics) customers to finally come over to Prevx1 if offered a choice let's say to have the program fit with an identification database like so many other programs as well as the current method of online id's?

25. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You cache everything you look up, so that wouldn't change. If you set it to prompt you to allow any unknowns, the worst that would happen is that you'd get a prompt for a new file until the internet connection returned. There is also some offline support. Beyond that, there are things in the works, but it's too early to really comment on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.