Which Photo Editor/Organizer Do You Use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cruise, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

2. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

You're welcome, but I'm afraid I gave you the wrong link. Lightbox is not Lightzone! :oops:

The link I provided was for Lightbox, the precursor of the Sagelight Image Editor, still in active development.

Lightzone is no longer in developement, but its concepts (and availability) continue with the LightZombie Project.

Cruise

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I downloaded the Lightbox free, and like it. I then clicked the 30 day trial of Lightbox Plus and like that too, so I'm running it. You say it's a precursor for Sagelight, the link of which I saw. This must explain why I can't find a page where you can buy Lightbox, and a few links go nowhere. Do you think the Plus version will self destruct after 30 days and I'll have to revert to the free version? The Sagelight site takes you to the blog and around in circles, but I can't find a place to buy that either.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I would assume so, since the developer wants to sell his Sagelight Image Editor. :p ....fwiw I may just buy Sagelight - if he ever provides a user-manual.

Cruise

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Photoshop here.

7. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

$how off... ;)

8. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

That's very cute Wendi :D ....if I could afford Photoshop I'd probably use it too. ;)

TS

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

To edit photos, I use GIMP. To organize them, I use my basic knowledge of computers and Windows. No other tool needed.

WIMP has a learning curve, of course. To do basic editing, I have a routine, which I always follow and almost always produces good results. So, the actual editing is quite fast.

As GIMP is powerful and has sophisticated tools, I know that if the need arises, I can explore other tools and procedures. I doubt that GIMP will ever limit me. And, last but not least, it is free.

10. The Shadow

I struggled with GIMP a couple of years ago and found its learning curve too steep for me, but I guess, as with Photoshop, once you get the hang of it there's not much they can't do in the way of editing.

Sure you can use Windows Explorer or the like to manage your photos, but that's far more work with far less organizing options that are typically found in a full-blown photo database/organizer.

TS

11. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

To clarify, I am referring to the latest 2.8.x versions of GIMP, which have significant changes (especially the single-window mode) and work much better in Windows. I tried a previous version some years ago and found it completely unusable.

12. The Shadow

I may give it another look; at least I can afford it. ;)

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I looked at Gimp once - can't remember anymore which version - and found it inscrutable. I may give the latest version another look since Robin A says it's more usable. And by the way, why the unappealing name?

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I deleted the Lightbox and am now using (learning) the Sagelight Image Editor 30 day trial. I see they offer specific help (manual) throughout the application by clicking the little blue icon with an ? in it. So far I think it's more user friendly than my Adobe Elements. :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  15. The Shadow

That wouldn't take much. :p
    (before taking the plunge with Sagelight, you might give ACDSee Pro a look). ;)

TS

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

acdsee is nice at $89.99 and seems to be a little complicated for me. Sagelight is normally $79 and is on sale at $39.99, and as I said, seems to be user friendly. I edited a few photos nicely without reading any instructions. However there's a lot to learn. I also have to remember I have Elements too. Thanks for the heads up. :)

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I decided on Photoshop years ago, when it was the only program that let you edit in layers for merging two images.
    This lets me make two exposures when the dynamic range of the scene exceeds that of the camera, then, merging them.

An example: two exposures, one for the highlights, one for the shadows:

church_bracket.gif

The final image after merging:

church9342.jpg

----
    rich

18. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

Fwiw, Simply Good Pictures is today's Giveaway of the Day.

Wendi

19. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi Wendi,

I just installed this and gave it a go. Imho this is an instance where the old adage 'you get what you pay for' proves to be correct.

Cruise

20. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Simply Good Pictures is too simple IMO. But maybe that's right, as they are targeting the market of fully automatic things.

21. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

For the most part, my trial of ACDSee Pro has been going well, but (unfortunately) it doesn't 'do layers'. I understand that the concept of layers is very useful for editing, so I may just wind up with Photoshop Elements!

Wendi

22. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Wendi,

Before buying Photoshop Elements (PSE), I would suggest that you give Zoner Photo Studio Pro a try. As I stated in my original post...
    Moreover, Zoner's photo organizing-editing layout is similar to that of ACDSee Pro (which you've been using) so it will be quite familiar to you. Zoner and PSE are also priced similarly. ;)
    • Unlike PSE, Zoner is a 64-bit app (but much smaller in size than PSE!) so it loads and runs faster under 64-bit Windows.
    • Zoner, like PS Elements, uses layers for editing!
    • Zoner can use many (but not all) PS plug-ins.
    Cruise

23. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've been using Irfanview for many years and have gotten addicted to it although there are several things about it I no longer like.

It's small size to capability ratio is one thing I like. It's a fine all-in-one viewer and editor.

But its heavy use of plugins has gotten to be a real drag. Also, the latest versions no longer remember my custom file type icons. They stick until I restart the system then they revert back to default. The default icons are some of the lamest I've ever seen in any software.

I don't need anything that has huge editing capability, mainly resampling, resizing, cropping, and some basic color controls. Also, built-in ability to save for the web is a must. It would be nice if it had a way to customize keyboard shortcuts, but not critical if it already has them for most functions. I know there's probably nothing as small as Irfanview, but I can compromise on size as long as all its features are native.

Anyone know if any of the viewer/editors mentioned in this thread (or not mentioned) match my wish list?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  24. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I don't know of any that let you customize keyboard shortcuts.

My solution is to use a Macro program. Also, there are some keyboard remapping programs available. Both well worth the time/effort to get the keyboard the way you want it!

regards,

-rich

25. ASM

ASM Registered Member

and Zoner use tab. I use Zoner for Photo Management... I would say it's much much better than ACDSee. Just my POV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.