Which Opera? Java / No Java? Opera Banner or Google Banner?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi Folks

Could you advice me on which version of Opera to install please.

My friend recently told me that he installed Opera browser and loved it so I intend to try it out and to use it as my 3rd browser as a back up on top of IE6 (for Windows Update only) and Firefox (browsing everything).

But now my question is which version of Opera should I install? My system is Dell Laptop with WinXP SP2 OS.

Questions:

1) Do I install Opera with Java or without Java? I don't really know which one is better.

2) My friend told me I could install Opera with Opera own ad banner or Opera with Google ad. I prefer Opera own ad banner but I just can't find the link to this download. Any idea?

3) I know SW Blaster and SW Guard do not work with Opera so what else can protect Opera? A bit paranoid here.

Cheers

Chew:)

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

1) It depends, if you want to be able to use Java applets in Opera then with Java, if not then without, it decreases the download size significantly, also, you do not need the package with Java if you already have the Java Runtime Enviroment installed for Firefox.

2) After installation of Opera, on the first startup it will ask you what type of ads you want.

3) You don't really need any.

3. chew

chew Registered Member

Comp01

Thanks for the reply.

I will give it a go then.

Cheers

Chew :)

4. chew

chew Registered Member

Sorry forgot to ask.

Does Opera broswer have something like Adblock extension? One of the webiste I visit is loaded with ads and flash animations.

Cheers

:)

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

6. chew

chew Registered Member

Don Pelotas

Thanks for the info.

But do you think Proxomitron works with Opera? I am searching for info related to this now.

Cheers

Chew

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Proxomitron works with Opera. :)

8. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor.

I will now attempt to learn both Proxomitron and Opera for the first time.

P/s: Does Proxomitron automatically filter all the browsers for me (IE6, Firefox and Opera) without me telling which one? For example, I only want to install Proxomitron with Opera only and not the rest, can I do that?

9. chew

chew Registered Member

Oh ya ... just to let everyone knows. I only intend to use Proxomitron or any other ad filter to filter out ads on one of my favourite website. So I am not attempting to filter or prevent the ad that appear on the corner of the Opera browser.

10. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

11. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

This is just an update on my venture into the Opera world - Opera Browser that is. :D

I must say my first impression is very good. In fact so good that I intend to buy it albeit with student discount (Yes, am a student and only USD20 = £11 plus) but I have encountered few minor problems that I need to sort out first.

1) Somehow when I tried to pay using Solo/Switch I noticed the full price of student discount USD20 ... errmmm .... disappeared and the full USD price appeared. That's freaky.

2) I am still learning Proxomitron (I am not installing it until I fully understand how to use it) and the rest of ads blocking extensions that are currently available or created for Opera. But I like the look of Proxomitron ...

Therefore, I am considering setting Opera as my default brower over my other browsers - Firefox and IE6(for Windows Update only), if I can get the above sorted.

:D

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. chew

chew Registered Member

Thansk Ronjor.

I have that bookmarked earlier to ensure permanent link to Proxomitron info.

Woww! That's a lot of info. to go through. :eek:

One question:

1) If I download and install Proxomitron does that mean all my other browsers will automatically be channelled through Proxomitron or can I selectively choose a particular browser(s) to use Proxomitron? o_O

14. dog

dog Guest

Hi Chew, ;)

You will have to configure each browser to use Proxomitron. The thread Ronjor linked to covers setting up Proxomitron in FireFox, IE and Opera in post 3 thru 5 respectively. :)

Steve

15. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks Steve

Yes, I saw that thread but wasn't sure if I had to configure setting for all browsers so I guess I know now. :)

So it's time to try to connect through my Uni firewall / proxy without messing up ...

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.