Which one?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious george, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Now I know spywareblaster is a good immunizer, but i want one that immunizes spyware. I used it, and downloaded some trojans and such to test out my pc, and they allll got through. So, which would you suggest?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

So you want to make your computer immune to any spyware. Only spyware, nothing else ?

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That makes no sense, there's a difference in the terms you just listed. Are you trying to immunize yourself from spyware, or malware (which trojans are a part of)? Spyware Blaster will not protect you from trojans. It is not intended to. For that, at least initially, you need a good a good malware scanner.

But if you are intent on immunizing yourself from spyware I would suggest Spyware Blaster, if you use IE or FF, and a good hosts file such as MVPS.

4. ErikAlbert

There is a form of "immunization", called "Immediate System Recovery", but this is such a big change, that it needs preparation. :)

5. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

LOL
    Surprise, surprise ;)

6. curious george

curious george Registered Member

Well, i wasn't using just trojans but a mix of things. But I guess i should have a bit more clear. Anyways, is there an app. that immunizes against malware?

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

No, if by immunizing you mrean preventing you from the effects of malware. If there were such as app that wuold be a no brainer and everyone in the world would use it. The best you could do is a good scanner (such as NOD32, KAV, Avira, Dr Web). But these will only be able to help you once you have beome infected. They will not prevent walware infection. I suggest you look into other applications, such as virtualization, to prevent malware. Remember, nothing is 100% effective.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

SpywareBlaster specfically provides protection against bad activeX controls, cookies, and dangerous sites (by adding them to the restricted sites list). It is useful, but it was not designed to intercept intentionally downloaded trojans. For that you need good antivirus and antispyware apps that do real time filtering.

9. Dogtag

Dogtag Registered Member

As n8chaves said, you could try virtulization, i use Returnil with a sanboxed browser via Sandboxie.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Must agree.

I use Returnil with SandboxIE myself and a Super HIPS, for me either ProSecurity or EQSecure 4.0 Beta. Of course first and foremost of importance is a solid backup image to resort to, just in case. LoL

I would by contrast recommend FD-ISR (Genuine) but it's no longer available so no sense getting users hopes up on another excellent alternative which is no longer in reach. If you do happen to have the original version count yourself fortunate because it fills in tremendous gaps and is a tough cookie to take down.

11. ErikAlbert

Curious george,
    Virtualization or ISR, whatever you call it, is indeed a form of " immunization" and ISR-softwares like Returnil, DeepFreeze, ShadowDefender, PowerShadow, Baseline Shield, ShadowUser, FirstDefense-ISR Rescue, RollbackRx, ... are able to do this.
    All these softwares do basically the same thing, but there are differences, that makes each ISR-software special or more flexible and it's upto you to find out, which ISR-software meets your wishes.

The principle is simple : an ISR-software keeps your system partition UNCHANGED and that means that every bad change will be removed during reboot, but only during reboot, not between two reboots.
    Unfortunately, also the good changes are removed during reboot, because an ISR-software doesn't see the difference between good or bad and that is a problem.

In other words you have the perfect REMOVAL tool for malware (= bad changes), but you still need security softwares to stop the execution of malware between two reboots and keeping the good changes is also a problem.

So it's a total different ball game, when you start using an ISR-software.
    Fortunately, Wilders has many members that will assist you in what to do, regarding :
    1. Separating system from data.
    2. Choosing the right ISR-software.
    3. Choosing the right security softwares.
    4. How to keep the good changes.
    5. Choosing the right Image Backup software.

You can imagine that this creates many options, combinations, user opinions and discussions.
    If you don't like the total picture, you better protect your system with a classical security setup, which is much easier to understand and to accomplish.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.