Which one is fit for Avast! 4 home?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zhanwest, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Not just for free in the US and Canada anymore http://www.eeye.com/html/company/press/PR20070711.html

2. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

3. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

whats the detection like on this blink?? better then avg ? blink and i miss it jk....bad humour tx MD

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Blinks Firewall isn't on the same level as many of the ones out there as far as leak tests. The AV however is Norman Virus Control and does quite well in AV Comparatives, and may well be better than AVG in some detection areas.

6. Hipgnosis

Yes, the eEye Blink/Norman AV is doing quite well. In the most recent (June) Virus Bulletin VB100 test, eEye scored a VB100 award and AVG failed on the Windows XP tests.

7. zhanwest

Blink has conflict with Avast!, so I cannot try it without virtual machine.
    But Norman is no good against chinese malware.

8. maddawgz

AVG failed on the Windows XP tests. oh wow....... :mad:

9. duke1959

10. Hipgnosis

My comment about AVG failing was not a slam against them nor was I singling them out. I just pointed it out since AVG was mentioned in comparison to Blink.

11. Hipgnosis

Yes I imagine there would be a conflict trying to run two AVs at the same time.

Can you provide a source or more info supporting the contention that "Norman is no good against chinese malware"?

12. maddawgz

I was reading the av compartives etc..re avast , avg whats the difference between on demand proative etc.. avg and avast score close but antvir seems advanced wonder why we all just dont use that then free version? because free antivir would be better then avg and avast :rolleyes:

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Each program has its advantages and disadvantages. IMO,The free versions of any of these should provide good protection. Their respective paid versions offers a bit more protection and extra features. The on demand means scans that are done manually. Proactive should mean real time or active protection. I hope this helps.

14. zhanwest

Sorry, I just learn it from chinese security forums. As for me, I have no experience of Norman.

15. duke1959

I didn't take it as a slam Hipgnosis. As a matter of fact I didn't even know about it and appreciate the info. Take care.

16. maddawgz

Thanks innerpeace lol ur avatar reminds me of jason lol.. yeah Im tossing up between avg avast and Antivir lately all free but i do use AVG suite.... any ideas?

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like AntiVir best of the 3 freebies... seems lightest and gives best detection and protection IMO...

18. zhanwest

Does AVG suite slow down your PC? I know it as a heavy load and I perfer to Avira Antivir with some other auxiliary security software.
    Mmm, I use Avast! now, so I can provide "technical support" for my friends who are digital immigrants.

19. duke1959

Through the Custom Install feature of the AVG Internet Security Suite, you can install just the AVG Antivirus Resident Shield, or the Antivirus and Firewall, without including the Antispyware Component, and after installation, install a different AS like Spyware Terminator. I am just using the AVG AV Component of the suite right now along with a-squared Anti-Malware, but when I did use all the AVG Components together it ran light, and that was with Cyberhawk also running with it. The reason I do this is that AVG Antispyware only uses signatures for detection in RealTime, and while it has good On Demand detection, I personally want more out of an Antispyware App. Of course you could also run the free version Cyberhawk with it.

20. innerpeace

Heh, my avatar is Sony from the movie iRobot. He does sorta look like Jason.

I have a license for AVG suite too and I am tempted to install the anti-malware version without the firewall. I would run it with OA2 HIPS/firewall. It would seem a good and simple solution.

Avira has the best detection, but some have update problems with the free version. Avast is good, solid and a complete free offering, that's why I hesitate to try a new AV. I think I remember reading that AVG AV with AVG AS is a very good when combined. You could try uninstalling the AVG firewall and use Comodo firewall. That is completely up to you. If your happy with the suite, then ride out the subscription :).

21. duke1959

Or you could just do what innerpeace suggested. LOL. Comodo is a good choice, but I had a problem recently with both the AVG Firewall and Comodo FW still showing up in my Windows Security Center after uninstall. This is a semi easy fix, but it irritated me. I'm not a big believer in the need for a third party firewall since I'm behind a router SPI firewall, but PC Tools Firewall is a happy medium between AVG and Comodo and ran well for me, plus it uninstalls with no problems. Oh and back on topic, I think Cyberhawk and Comodo Pro would fit well with Avast at this point as I haven't heard of any recent incompatibilities

22. zhanwest

Dynamic Security Agent can work well with Avast!

23. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hi zahnwest, :)
    I am sure BOClean and SuperAntiSpy Free along with any of the big three free AVs including Avast would be just fine.

Even for what you say is tough china bugs from your forum. ;)

Note to innerpeace: Sonny from iRobot...:thumb: I knew...:)

24. innerpeace

I'm glad somebody recognized him or it :D

25. zhanwest

Thank you, mercurie.
    DSA is too heavy and complicated for my friends and I will follow your advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.