Which of the three?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Greetings,
    O. K. my head is about to explode. I can not decide. I need some help.

Need some help? I don't want to really get into a who is the best debate. Please keep your help narrowly focused. But feel free to give your thoughts about the listed AV programs.

I don't intend to renew the 90 day OE subscript. on my emachine. I have done some research on my own and have narrowed my decision down to the following:

NOD32, Mcafee VScan 8, and Panda Titanium AV. I am leaning to the later.

I want one that is light on resources a priority. I prefer to allow the firewall, no matter who it is, to have more resources then the AV if one wants to be a hog, I hate slow boots and program delays. Must be Solid (passes most of the various AV tests). Moderate tweakability; is a good thing. Some seem to be very limited (solid, but load and forget, no fun). I do not mind paying, but not to much (hurts NOD32) I can internet shop it (good for Mcafee and Panda). I want a disk not real big on a internet down load even if you can save it to a disk. I DO NOT WANT A FIREWALL, AV, AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN IN IT, NO SUITES. Thank thee all :doubt:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

All three are decent. Nod runs the lightest with good detection, mcafee has good detection and a good unpacker, Panda is a good av also but it runs a little heavy on resources and it's detection rates are not as good as the first two.

Since you want an av that is light on resources you probably will want to go with nod.

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'd avoid Panda, put KAV on your list instead.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I highly recommend Norton Anti-Virus, why? … because I want to drive everyone in this Forum crazy … no, seriously, I’d lean toward NOD. McAfee, while much improved over earlier versions, needs ActiveX activated in order to work and some security minded folks, me included, like to keep ActiveX turned off except for Trusted Sites. Panda, quite frankly, I simply do not know enough about but I keep hearing more and more good things about. NOD I used for two years and liked very much. Some folks say that NOD could do a better job with Trojan detection, and from what little homework I have done this may be true, but since I also use a Trojan detector this would be a non-issue for me. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Acadia

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Ha! That would do it! :D :D

I agree with your recommendation . ;)

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

OK, let's first isolate your specific targets - I've taken the liberty of doing a little editing....

How do you weight all these traits?

I've never run Panda, and it's been years since a McAfee product. That said, my impressions and experience are:

1. NOD32 seems to be the consensus winner here - whether you will really notice it depends a lot on your PC.
    2. All three choices seem solid on AV performance. If you go to a site like AV-comparatives or Virus Bulletin you'll see all three are solid. AV Comparatives ranking of these three are McAfee, NOD32, then Panda in the latest test - but they're all quite close.
    3. All should be roughly equal here
    4. Roughly equal
    5. If you want a disk - I'd rank them McAfee (available at many retail stores), Panda, then NOD32 (this is a download)
    6. Roughly equal

Which to get? In what order do you rank your constraints? The should point to the likely best choice for you. I'd also recommend that you get a trial copy of your choice first to verify there's no problems on your PC.

Blue

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

ROFLMAO

My pick is Nod, light, it works, good interface, and most of all, this forum ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  8. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

I would go with McAfee because of very good detection.

9. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

McAffee isn't as bloated as Norton, but it still seems a bit piggish. Also, its use of ActiveX doesn't sound too cool.

I'd go with NOD.

10. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I would recommend McAfee if it wasn't for the secuity center garbage that comes with VS 8. I'm sure all would agree that VS 8 is among the best of the scanning engines, but I personally can't stand that security center. If you can tolerate it, it'd be a great AV.
    Given your requirements (resources, tweakable) NOD32 would probably fit your needs.

11. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

It's a shame they don't sell McAfee VS Enterprise in single units to home users.

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

maybe you can add F-Prot and Command in your list. i'll recommend NOD32 from your list.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I agree about McAfee and that security center, it gets a bit aggravating. An awful good virusscanner though. It annoys me enough that Im looking for an eventual replacement, maybe DrWeb..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.