Which Isolator is the best?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Jan 12, 2011.

?

What do you think is more better and effective?

1. GeSWall

13.2%
  2. Sandboxie

60.3%
  3. other options

27.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I have voted for DefenseWall (other options).

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

DefenseWall :thumb: (other options).

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Which is better is always a difficult question. I have Sandboxie, and I think it is excellent. I don't know anything about GesWall so no comment. I also think that Returnil can't be compared to Sandboxie and GesWall.

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

+1 for DefenseWall. :thumb:

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

add one more!

7. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Sandboxie.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Sandboxie, DefenseWall and Geswall are all 'best' at whatever each does - 3 different beasts and kings of their own jungles.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

a) If you want a full sandbox (file/code doesn't run on the real system), then Sandboxie is the best tool imo.
    b) If you want a policy-based HIPS which gives untrusted control while running a file on the real system, DefenseWall is the best tool imo.
    c) If you want a policy-based HIPS that extends the use of the OS internal mechanisms, Geswall is the best tool imo.

Sandboxie has an advantage in that it's sandbox protection has proven reliable more so than other products imo. It has a 64-bit counterpart (despite it's shortcoming) whereas its competitors (inc. Bufferzone) have not currently. Sandboxie provides a free (but with nag) version that allows the use of only 1 sandbox at a time.

Defensewall advantage lies in it's ease of use (for a HIPS) and it's "trusted vs untrusted" control over a file. Support and updates are fast according to reports by users here. There's no free version though (except for Gizmo freebie v2.56 ). Ilya doesn't seem like having any plans on supporting 64-bit yet but that itself can be argued upon as good since he doesn't give his users false hope.

Geswall advantage lies in it's that it has a free version for use (which allows 'covering' more than 1 app at a time) and that it provides its users extensive control over its settings (which suits more advanced/knowledgeable users imo). Geswall also seems to have plans on making a 64-bit version it seems. However, its product development is kinda slow I think and that doesn't help when one encounters problems with the software for example.

All that said, my personal choice leans more to:

1. Sandboxie
    2. Defensewall

I am in favor of Sandboxie since it works/integrates more nicely with a LUA and SRP/Applocker combo when one runs a downloaded setup file - it invokes UAC to ask for elevation. I wish the other 'isolators' provides a similar feature...

P.S. All statements above are just opinion-based. I don't have much experience with Geswall since I faced issues with it on my setup.

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

GesWall

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie, because you can harden it.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

SandBoxie provides a better overall protection than the other, because it's a real sandbox.
    Defensewall is more like rule based on trust/untrust.

I mean, SandBoxie really isolates all the actions of the things you choose and Defensewall is more like a rules based, it doesn't really isolates the software action it just limits what the software can/cannot do. :rolleyes:

12. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

DefenseWall is best overall due to ease of use. Sandboxie is just as secure, but not as user-friendly as DW.

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used all 3 and like Geswall and Defensewall the best :thumb:

14. sweater

I've been using GeSWall but it's a little bit confusing at first. It even makes my adobe reader x freezes when it opens and when I try to disable GeSWall Pro trial it just runs ok. So I know its the GeSWall that affects adobe. I suspect that it also makes my pc a little sluggish...or makes my anti-virus cpu cycle to spike up. Not sure bout this.

I was also confused when GeSWall pro trial expires the enable/disable wording when I right click the control in the tray disappears.

Sandboxie looks more complicated to use than GeSWall but haven't tried this yet.

Are Sandboxie more lighter on the system than GeSWall? and are not that "dominating" to other application/program functions? and by the way haven't read and understand yet all of Sandboxie details/manual...I am using scrapbook in Firefox. Can I still capture and save webpages with scrapbook plus with sandboxie?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

DefenseWall.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

17. sweater

I'v heared many are using Drop My Rights, (but am now more careful than before installing programs like this that tends to have more grip in controlling the system)... I still believe limited acct is one of the most important built-in security feature of Windows system, even if it's not 100% perfect. I use limited acct surfing the net so there's no need for me to use this. Besides when I want to install something it's just easy as pie switching to admin acct ...and disables hips program to make sure it wont interfere or conflict something. I still hesitates even if you allow it or trust it when pop ups ask you that it really can completely go on installing clean software flawlessly.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  18. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

SANDBOXIE:thumb:

19. icr

icr Registered Member

Mostly choose Sandboxie, have played with it many times and never let me down. Comodo's sandbox is also great:thumb:

20. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

I voted for "Other" as your use of the word "Isolator" is too vague. It could apply to full simulation environments like VMWare. VPC, etc as well as for Boot-to-restore solutions that isolate the real hard drive from unwanted/malicious changes.

As a Returnil rep and enthusiastic adopter, my "other" is RSS/RVS which may or may not be an expected target of your poll where it appears sandboxing and/or HIPS supported sandboxing may have been your intended focus. It is difficult to say exactly so some clarification from the OP would be useful in keeping the thread on topic, but given the above is valid, RSS/RVS 2011 could be considered a HIPS supported whole system partition "Isolator"...

Mike

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

This poll really needs to be more specific, but if we are talking about only isolating applications then I would say Sandboxie. If we are talking about isolating in general then I have to vote for Shadow Defender. I don't think anything is more secure or affective than SD!

22. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Keyloggers can ONLY steal data in Sandboxie when its a vanilla install. If you tighten it up then they can't run/connect to the web.

23. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

DefenseWall! :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.