Which is better?: Ashampoo Uninstaller or Total Uninstall

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LiHigh, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiHigh

LiHigh Registered Member

I would like to find out more on Ashampoo Uninstaller and Total Uninstall.
    --Which is more stable?
    --which is more effective?

TIA

2. zoriv

zoriv Registered Member

I recommend you Advanced uninstaller pro

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

You ask "Which is better, A or B?", so I'm not going to answer "C", as zoriv did...

I've used Ashampoo UnInstaller Suite Plus and Total Uninstall (versions 2 and 3) extensively, and I prefer the latter. Ashampoo UnInstaller does a pretty good job, but its scans were agonizingly slow on my system, for one thing. Total Uninstall 3's scans are very, very fast.

Another really negative thing is that Ashampoo UnInstaller doesn't let you edit the installation logs afterward--which really sucks if you've inadvertently logged a change you don't want to undo later (perhaps months later).

Total Uninstall 3 automatically adds locked files to the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value; Ashampoo UnInstaller does not.

Total Uninstall 3 gives you a lot of control over scan options; Ashampoo UnInstaller does not.

The list goes on and on... There really isn't much reason to choose Ashampoo UnInstaller over Total Uninstall. The one feature that Ashampoo UnInstaller has that Total Uninstall doesn't is the ability to create INF installation files... But how often are you going to use that?

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have both and i only use Ashampoo because it is twice as fast or even quicker on my system and much easier to use too - two very easy steps, click install an application, Ashampoo then does a registry scan then you install the app. then you click OK and Ashampoo does a second scan, and that's it

the versions i am talking about are:
    Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite version 1.3.1.4
    and the free version of total uninstall (2?)

i have got regshot, but i haven't bothered to check to see which monitors what in the registry.

Ashampoo also has extra features too like find delete temp files, manage fonts, find delete empty folders, find/delete Duplicates.

there is an Ashampoo UnInstaller Platinum Suite version too, i haven't used that version. i also haven't used the plus version nameless is talking about.

something all these programs tell you to do is run the program when it is installed and before you make the second scan with the installer/uninstaller. that way if extra things are added to the registry when they are first run they are monitored too.

i like Ashampoo more because it's faster and easier to use and, as far as i know, if the installed program needs a reboot it will still let you do the second scan of the installed software after the reboot. i don't think Total Install can do that, maybe the paid version can o_O

i haven't used the new paid version of Total Uninstall maybe that version scans very much faster then the free version

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The new version is much more faster than the free version...

I use the Total Uninstall, paid version, and it does an excellent job... ;)

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Ashampoo UnInstaller wasn't terribly slow for me until I added more and more software. The more I had installed, the slower it became--exponentially so. (And this is without it scanning for version information in files.)

I didn't find Ashampoo UnInstaller's font-finding and other features worth mentioning; they're pretty limited.

Total Uninstall 3 (shareware) is much faster than Total Uninstall 2 (freeware).

Both versions of Total Uninstall can handle reboots just fine.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you are right it has become exponentially slower for me too, but on a fresh install it took about 7-10 to scan the registry and now with 100 or so installed programs it takes no more then 20 seconds.

i don't use the extra features, manage fonts, either i just meationed them as it does have it.

i haven't used the newer version of Total Uninstall so as people seem to think it's better i suppose it is. i like Ashampoo though. for me it's so easy to use and it's fast too.

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Total Uninstall 3 here too, very fast and as simple as this gets, unless they make a program where you didn't have to scan before & after.

Has a much nicer GUI than version 2, all very personal opinion of course. ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.