Which firewalls does BD play nicely with?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chinook9, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Looking for a firewall/HIPS that is compatible with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013.

This is for my wife's laptop. I had Online Armor on it, but the laptop seemed to really bog down with OA and BD running.

We also use Sandboxie for all browsing.

Anyone use DefenseWall with BD?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

BAVP2013 would work fine with Windows Firewall. In 99% of cases anything more then Windows Firewall is a waste of security/resources/human effort. You don't need out-bound protection, and if you must have it there are many guides on how to make Windows Firewall do just this.

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

First, you use SANDBOXIE , THE NUMBER ONE BROWSING PROTECTION; therefore, you should be safe enough by using Windows own firewall with BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2013. Just in case, BD Antivirus Plus 2013 has its own sandbox for browsers.
    If you really want to have an extra firewall, just lighter, try ZoneAlarm- no HIPS.
    I've personally had a lot of issues with TinyFirewall - No HIPS; therefore, I would not recommend it.
    There is a very good firewall, Privatefirewall, but because of the HIPS elements, you'll see some sluggishness. I got tired of it and uninstalled.
    And, be careful if you decide to use DefenseWall. It requires a lot of knowledge to make it work properly.
    Again.
    Sandboxie, Windows own firewall, the correct UCA settings, BD Antivirus Plus 2013, Secunia with your WOT browsing attitude, and you'll be 99% safe.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Agreed. Bitdefender IME does not get along with all security programs so keep it light BUT make sure you also have some reliable backup/imaging in place.

PS I have run BD AV with LooknStop without any problems.

5. c2d

c2d Registered Member

No problems here with Outpost Firewall Pro.

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

if you want a firewall, why not just get Bitdefender Internet Security and be on the safe side knowing it will work best with no slowdowns or compatibility issues? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

That was not his question, ~comment removed~ If he wanted the suite he would have got the suite. ~Comment removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  8. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

I have used Comodo Firewall v6(free) and Outpost Firewall Pro(paid) with BDAV 2013 and have faced absolutely no issues with either of them
    Both Comodo and Outpost are much lighter than Online Armor (in my experience) and have better compatibility.

If you decide to use Comodo Firewall , follow these steps

No such steps are required if you decide to use Outpost Firewall Pro,
    but i would recommend using Comodo, it being free and a much better product overall :)

9. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thank you all for the input. I will go ahead and try Comodo on this machine. I have used Comodo for many years and I have it (including antivirus) on my netbook. I probably don't really need Comodo but I really like to have a HIPS.

Thanks again.

10. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Antiviruses like Bitdefender(BHAVE), Emsisoft(BHAVE+Mamutu), Kasperky etc already do have a HIPS/BB component
    however Comodo Defense+ can be a great addition

please use Chiron's guide to configure Comodo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.