Which Firewall to use

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by chemicalkicks, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

Hello All,

I had been using NOD and comodo, then I got Vista.

At the time I couldn't find any firewalls that I liked.

I stumbled upon ESS Beta which I though was great as it was everything in one tidy package.

Now ESS has been crashinf my PC when I try and run a scan and I would like to revert to NOD but again which firewall to use?

2. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

If you don't have thousands of apps and are comfortable setting up rules, using Vista's Firewall with Advanced Security (i.e. turning on outbound filtering) is pretty good, low on resources, and speedy. The downside is that logging leaves something to be desired.

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Please, write about your problem with ESS to ESET tech support ---> betasupport /at/ eset.sk

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I'll second that , betasupport should be able to help you or if not , then take information to clear things in future releases

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  6. chemicalkicks

Emailed support with the following, hopefully they'll be able to understand my rambling nonsense.

Hello Support,

I have a NOD32 licence that I can supply on request.

Have been using ESS beta since it was available.

Problem observed with previous ESS beta

When running a manual scan from the ESS menu the scan would hang at “x” percent complete, this was followed shortly by my PC becoming unresponsive to Input and would eventually have to be switched off at the mains. No big deal I though as I was pretty sure that a system file scan was happening every time I turned the PC on.

Updated to ESS beta 1b observed problem

Installed by following method. Downloaded to desktop then opened .exe brought up a menu where choice was repair or something else. I clicked on repair I was the met with another promt were I chose cancel. I then uninstalled the program via control panel and restarted. I then clicked the .exe and followed the standard install, install seemed to go ok. Computer would now freeze about 10 minutes after boot, this prompted a cycle of turning off at the wall and starting again 6 times in all.

Since the last major change I had been was updating to the latest Beta I decided to very quickly uninstall ESS again from control panel and restart. After restart PC was fine, no more freezing. Went into program files and deleted the ESS folder and reinstalled the beta 1b. No more freezing after 10 minutes however the scanning function still does not work as a system freeze is caused everytime.

Can you suggest a work around, have you heard about this problem before?
    Thanks

Stuart

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , you seem to have forgotten one "new" folder , which I consider very important for deleting with beta1 series . Keeping that folder causes me as well as other users I know test ESS nothing but problematic installation and usage .

Try the following and if it helps , fine , if not - wait for Eset support :)

Reinstall Eset Smart Security beta

1. Download fresh new ESS from http://download1.eset.com/special/essbeta1b/ess_nt32_enu.msi
    1. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2. Reboot the computer when prompted
    3. Delete manually
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset

4. Install again ESS beta . Use Typical install and keep essbeta for username/password

8. chemicalkicks

Just followed all your steps, running a scan as I type.

[/Fingers Crossed]

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I guess it worked correctly.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Glad that helped you . Thanks for letting us know :thumb:

11. chemicalkicks

Sorry, no such luck.

Again died on scan 91% complete.

Doh

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am sorry . Let ESET know about your issue

13. chemicalkicks

Already have. Thanks HiTech_boy

14. chemicalkicks

How long do you think it will be before I get a response from ESET?

15. alchemyst

alchemyst Registered Member

Does anyone know of any other firewalls that have the abiilty to specify session based or process lifetime based application rules, i.e. 'Block this application from accessing the internet for the duration of it's current process lifetime'. So, the rule gets deleted after the process is terminated or your PC is restarted.

I use Kerio still, which only has absolute options, and unfortunately the ESS beta is still too volatile for me to use regularly.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have no idea . I wish they respond faster to your case :thumb:

17. chemicalkicks

And still nothing.

Although I believe this may be infact because its beta, on the website it says their is no support.

I've done my bit by sending my problem to them so maybe they'll have a fix for the next version.

As for being worried about having an intrusion I ran Kasperskys online scanner and it found nothing so Im fairly happy that im protected in the mean time even if I cant run an on demand scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.