Which Antivirus ..... ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dja2k, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Which other antivirus besides the KAV 6 beta installs as a secondary scanner while not using any resources. I know KAV 6 can be installed a scanner only via the setup where you uncheck ative scanners and when not turned on, it won't use any resources. Not like btidefender free editon that the services have to be runned in order to scan manually. And I am not talking about web scanners. Any ideas?

dja2k

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

AntiVir has two Services and an autorun, all of which can be disabled leaving you with a demand scanner only.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i believe mcafee VSE can be installed as an on-demand scanner only but i have not tried. i believe nod32 would work similarly to antivir, just disable the services and autorun.

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I have nod32 as active. I am keeping nod32 active. Will try what you guys recommend. Those that you mention that install some services, when you disable them, can you still run the scanner without having to go back and enabling them?

dja2k

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In AntiVir, turn off auto updates, check for old virus definition files, and turn off load the guard at startup.
    That should be it.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

honestly i have not tried. just run nod32 scanner (not the nod32 control panel) from the start menu and see what happens.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Does Dr. Web do the same thing, I mean I see a lot of people using that antivirus, is it any good for a secondary? I am just waiting for the final KAV 6 so I can use that as my main secondary or who knows maybe as my primary and use NOD32 as secondary.

dja2k

8. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I have used AntiVir and F-Prot for DOS as on-demand scanners. Of the two, I prefer F-Prot for DOS.

Phil

9. AndreyKa

AndreyKa Registered Member

10. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

The main weakness of F-Prot for DOS is that it can't read NTFS which makes it useless on anything other than older FAT32 partitions.

Ned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.