Which anti-virus software are you using with LnS?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nuser, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuser

nuser Registered Member

Hi, Friends,
    I believe that besides LnS, all of you have installed some kind of Anti-virus software. I just wonder which one is the best (or more appropriate) buddy of LnS.
    I am using Mcafee product. Not bad.
    Is there a better choice?:-*

2. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

I don't know of any incompatibility with any of the known free or paid AV products, so you could probably just use witch ever you like. I've settled for NOD32 for its lightness. Both NOD and L'n'S are light and unobtrusive and that suits me fine!

3. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

I have NOD32 alongside my LnS for much the same reason.
    Very light on resources and well known in the game as one of the leaders.

Kaspersky got one of the highest detection rates but I personally am not keen on its interface, just a preference.
    Macafee and Norton very good too but they are well known resource hoggers.

On the free AV front I tested Avast, AVG and Avira's offerings back end of last year and early doors this year and would have to recommend Avira's AntiVir. Very fast scanner, high detection rates and like most of the commercial products it satisfies the independant award panel at the Virus Bulletin, www.virusbtn.com, it still maintains its VB100 award.
    AVG too holds same certification (listed under parent company Grisoft) but its main problem lies with virus detection, it doesn't possess a live quarantine/delete option.
    It will alert you to the presence of a virus but you then have to initiate a full scan to detect and destroy said virus, cumbersome!
    Avast is ok, bit too graphic based for me, I tend to be suspicious of prgrams that try to dazzle you with fancy graphics, skins etc. but again, it maintains its VB100 award status under its parent name Alwil.

Coupled with a Firewall and Anti-Virus solution you should consider an Anti-Spyware/Malware guard.
    Webroot Spy Sweeper is good, the good 'free' program is AVG's anti-spyware.
    http://free.grisoft.com follow prompt for free anti-spyware.
    There are other free programs that you can consider, SpyBot, Ad-Aware however these do not possess a live 'guard' that AVG's offering does. You have to regularly run a scan to check you are clean.
    SpyBot has a process protector called TeaTimer which is ok but not what I would class as a full guard against infection.

Add the three together (AV, FW & Anti-Spyware) and you have a very good barrier against the nasties on the net!

There you go, a lot of waffle and words, hope some of this may be of some use to you in your quest for total protection!

Take care all!

Smiggy.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Using NOD32 with Spy Sweeper and L'n'S :cool: Very Compatible Indeed :thumb:

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Currently using Panda AV 2007 with Look N Stop and running smooth on my desktop. I flip-flop between this combo and Online Armor AV+ every few weeks. I just feel a little uneasy about Online Armor AV not having a fulltime guard at times...:rolleyes: :blink: :)

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

:D Anything unknown that tries to run will get scanned by the KAV engine, don't worry about that :)

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Im running Norman Antivirus (XP) and Avast free (Vista). I have also tried Bitdefender, Kaspersky, NOD32, AVG, Antivir and DrWeb. All play nice with all I got, including Look´n´stop.

8. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I use NOD32 with LnS. After you configure both, they are pretty much set and forget in their functionality and of course very light on resources.

Gary

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

Like others using NOD32 & LnS - no complaints here.

Both aren't resource hoggers like complete internet suites that I've tried which suits me fine.

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've run many av's alongside lns, avg, avs, nod32, avira. They've all worked fine. I find mcafee to be a bit too heavy on the resources for my likeing.

11. carioca

carioca Registered Member

:D
    Hi, buddy. I should recommend one of the best scanners without spending one cent. It's called Active Virus Shield but better known as avs from aol/kaspersky. It's a very low impact antivirus (one of the lightest antivirus scanners) and It's a second ranked position by the antivirus testers for 2007 antivirus review. You can read a resume of it as follows down there below just to have an idea:"Active Virus Shield is free anti-virus for your PC that combines traditional antivirus programs, stopping them before they can infect your computer.

Active Virus Shield is brought to you as a free service of AOL and is based on Kaspersky Lab’s award winning Personal Anti-Virus:

* Ranked #2 by Consumer Reports (Sep. ’05)
    * Rated “Excellent” by TopTenReviews.com (2006)
    * “Offers updates with more frequency… compared with… other security vendors” – Information Week
    * “No anti-virus vendor launches a fix faster” – Red Herring

Active Virus Shield seamlessly integrates with the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems and is compatible with other PC protection programs (firewalls, anti-spyware, etc.). Like other anti-virus programs, using Active Virus Shield may require that you uninstall other anti-virus programs to avoid product incompatibilities.
    Click here - DOWNLOAD FREE!
    Main Advantages of Active Virus Shield

Highly Effective Antivirus Protection. Active Virus Shield utilizes the latest technology to do both traditional signature-based detection, as well as in-depth scanning of executables. This helps protect against a broader range of known and new viruses, reducing the chances of a virus infection on the user’s computer.

* Real-Time File Protection. All individual files, catalogs and disks can be scanned for viruses or, to cut down on scan times, Active Virus Shield allows users to focus attention only on critical areas of the operating system. In either case, Active Virus Shield serves as a watch-dog, continuously monitoring and helping to protect files. Active Virus Shield can also scan faster by scanning only new and changed files.
    * Email Protection. Active Virus Shield supports most e-mail clients (e.g POP3, IMAP or NNTP) to scan incoming email and SMTP protocol to scan outgoing mail. For popular mail programs, like Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express, plug-ins and routines for treatment of viruses in email databases are also available.
    * Automatic Hourly Updates. Active Virus Shield checks for available updates every hour which helps to ensure the product is up to date with the latest features and virus signatures

Simple And Easy To Use. Active Virus Shield can be installed and set up in a matter of minutes, and the context sensitive help enables users to understand the finer points of the application’s settings. Moreover, the program regularly notifies users of its current protection status and gives recommendations for dealing with difficult situations."
    Good luck! Best Regards.
    :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.