Where is Anchor folder stored?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, fellows, Acadia might be on the verge of breaking down and using the Anchor feature. :eek: Those of you who have used it, where in the $ISR folder is the Anchor folder created and stored? Thank you.

Acadia

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I wished, I knew. I have another question : "Where are the settings of FDISR stored ?" :)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik's first. Most of the settings are stored in the registry.

Acadia. Anchored files aren't "stored anywhere" They are just left where they were and available to all snapshots. For example, I used to anchor my documents. When I decided not to anymore, I was in my Primary snapshot and I just unselected the anchored stuff. Nothing happened immediately but the when I booted to secondary they were no longer there. Booted back and did a copy/update, and FDISR copied all of my doc's to the other snapshot. Then booting to secondary they were there.

In reverse reanchoring them, did nothing until the next copy update of secondary, when FDISR deleted them.

Make sense?

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    Anchored folders must be stored somewhere, because FDISR has to know which folders were anchored by the user.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

o_O

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Your confused??

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

So are the anchored files only kept in one Snapshot? If so, what happens if you delete that Snapshot?

Acadia

8. ErikAlbert

If you click on Tools / Data Anchoring you get a list of anchored folders and files.
    Your question most probably refers to that list. Where is that list stored ? I don't know where, but I'm 100% sure that this list is stored somewhere.

That list is kept forever (unless you change it), no matter what you do with your snapshots.
    FDISR needs that list to do the anchoring in each snapshot.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

How come that settings retain when you restore to a different snapshot with a different registry? :)

It has been a while for me, but I remember a file or folder in the $ISR structure that contains information of which data has to be anchored.

10. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

There is a file C:\$ISR\0\$ANCHOR that changes size when you add anchored folders. I would venture a guess that the file has the list of anchored locations.

As Peter said, it doesn't seem that the anchored data is stored anywhere in the $ISR folder. I created a folder called C:\Anchor, put a few test files in it, and anchored the folder. Down in the $ISR folder in the actual snapshot folders there is now an Anchor folder for each snapshot, but there are no files in the snapshot folders.

This is also discussed in the manual and help files (look under concepts in the online help) and it even has a picture.

C

11. Peter2150

Well chances are they got there thru a copy. But once you have two snapshots, you can probably change some of them.

You know also as I think about it, I wonder what the purpose of what is written to the MFT on swap over.

Bottom line is FDISR works exactly like Rollback.... MAGIC:D

12. ErikAlbert

It seems to me that you can NOT anchor any folder that begins with "C:\$ISR".
    I tried a few folders and files, FDISR puts them in the anchor list, but when you press the "Finish" button FDISR refuses to accept it and you have to remove it first. So that doesn't work.

13. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

That makes sense... especially since the C:\$ISR folder is essentially anchored anyway. Not sure why you would want to anchor anything under it anyway.

C

14. ErikAlbert

Compare it with your experiments, using xyplorer and that fsutil (?).
    You are not the only one trying things out and ignoring Peter's warnings. :D

15. wilbertnl

So, you are in snapshot SA and change some FD-ISR settings. Then you switch to snapshot SB and there you find the original settings?
    I invite you to give this a try and report us the results, Peter. ;)

16. Peter2150

Erik Re my warnings. :D It really doesn't matter what people try as long as they remember if that if FDISR lets them down, it might not be a problem with FDISR. For me, since I count on FDISR to bail me out, I don't mess with it.

Wilbertnl I have a feeling you are trying tactfully to tell me I am wrong. If you've done this and know, tell me, and spare me the test. All it will prove is I don't know, all that I don't know about FDISR:D

17. wilbertnl

Peter, you are not wrong, maybe a little bit too fast. ;)
    I have noticed that when I install fresh in an empty snapshot the FD-ISR settings retain.
    I think the FD-ISR settings are stored somewhere in C:\$ISR

So, is the system time adjusted when you change to a different snapshot?
    I just figured that this happens to me, I need to update all snapshots.

18. Peter2150

ROFL. Gee I'd never jump to quickly. Actually what I based my response on was a peek in the registry. Some of the settings are there. I can't see those carrying over, unless they are defaults, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were elsewhere, which apparently they are.

Cheers,

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.