Where can I find the registry key for the 'Privacy Tab' in IE?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by macchio82, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macchio82

macchio82 Registered Member

I am working on a script to change certain Internet Explorer options for friends and family. I am working on one to change the Privacy Tab setting to the default level, which is medium. I have been searching the internet for days and I have not found the registry key to modify. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

If you open up Internet Explorer 6.0, under Tools, click Internet Options, and then click Privacy Tab, the setting I want to change is the scroll bar. Where is the registry key for that setting?

Anything will help. Thanks.

Steve

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries

3. macchio82

I have found that resource on my own as well, but I do not understand what it means.

Do I change the 1A10 key? I do not have the location of the registry key that they mention - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AllowedControls

I am running on a Windows XP Pro with IE 6.0.

Is it here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3?

I did some searching on my own and that is one place where I found it. I know that the 3 means that it is a internet zone but that is for the security tab under internet options. I don't think what I found is the proper key to change.

Do you know where the key is located in the registry?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted in the MSKB I linked to it's located in the below key as you mentioned.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3

Take note of my above quote also in regards to the "Privacy Settings (1A10) is used by the Privacy tab slider".

The DWORD 1A10 is one of the key players along with the 2 Binary components shown in bold below that also play a part in what you are wanting.

"Based on the settings in the slider it will also modify the values in {A8A88C49-5EB2-4990-A1A2-0876022C854F} or {AEBA21Fa-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120} or both appropriately".

What I suggest you do is to place the Privacy slider at Medium(or whatever setting you want) and then export the Zones\3 registry key. Once that is done you can then edit that reg file to only have the 3 items you need in regards to the slider settings you select.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  5. macchio82

Thanks for all your help Bubba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.