When will you install W10

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Jun 5, 2015.

?

When will you install W10

1. As soon as windows update sends it to me

43 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Within 12 months of release

29 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. When W7 extended support ends

17 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. When it has proven stable

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Never

51 vote(s)
    29.5%
  6. Other (specify)

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

They do: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
    The ISO creation tool is to convert the already-downloaded Windows Update ESD to an ISO so you don't have to download ~4GB again.

Don't do that, heh. You may have to clear your update cache/repository if it can't resume/restart that update.

There are utilities for both of these issues and some updates you can disable natively (all with utilities/Pro/Enterprise). Driver updates, definitely disable but I can't see the problem with automatic "forced" updates. I know I don't want to micromanage my updates; I'll deal with the 0.001% that may cause a problem rather than the 99.999% that don't.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've done a number of upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.x to Windows 10, and in all cases Windows 10 has run fine. Upgrades to Windows 10 generally work a let better than upgrades to previous versions of Windows have.

Personally, I always prefer upgrades over clean installs, as it means I don't have to reinstall any of the software I use. If there are problems arising from doing an upgrade, I'll do my best to find the cause of the problems and fix them. I'm got a laptop running a somewhat corrupted install of Windows 7 which has seen hundreds of software installs and uninstalls over the years, and has many programs install. Right now, it some issues which are stopping me from installing SP1. In time, when I am able to resolve the issues which are preventing the install of SP1, I'll upgrade to Windows 10 to see how well it works when upgrading from well used Windows 7 install.

I'm still very happy with Windows, and at this point would never consider switching to Linux. I would also never most definitely switch to a Mac.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The same here. I'm happy to let Windows install all the needed updates, and like you, I find it exceptionally rare to have an update cause issues.

4. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I installed Windows 10 Pro on 3 August – had no issues during, or after the upgrade, although some niggles persist in 10. I disabled all the obvious telemetry\privacy settings during the upgrade process – and don't care what is left over for Microsoft to extract from my system.
    I sat back and took careful note of the kerfuffle surrounding the 'reserve your copy of 10' bizness – and decided that it wasn't for me (I used the Media Creation Tool to upgrade)

I'm running Windows 10 Pro as a Virtualbox VM – (I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro - which I upgraded from Windows 8 CP)
    For me, installing Windows 10 was simply a means of keeping up to date with the latest, as I bypassed 8.1. Plus, I use my VMs as test beds – so am not fussed by some of the idiosyncrasies of Windows 10.

When Windows 7 (my host OS) runs out of puff in 2020, I will undoubtedly migrate to Windows 10 – and I'm sure it will be a somewhat different OS by then!

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Guys and Gals,

Contrary to popular belief, Win10 is NOT the last version of Windows. Like earlier versions, Win10 has been given a 10 year life-span.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-commits-to-10-year-support-lifecycle-for-windows-10/

Also;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Windows 10 marks the end of an era - essentially the beginning of the end of what MS has always been associated with - protection for existing band-aided applications, aging hardware and outdated peripherals. W10 is a project that MS introduced to wean their valued clients off the model that is no longer growing the PC based business that has always been MS. The accommodations will gradually disappear over the 10 year period and that is when the project known as W10 will end. All projects have a beginning and an end. They are often delayed, but like every era, they do eventually end.

MS does not regard the home user as ' valued clients ' , instead they are categorized as 'valued consumers'. They adapt faster to change because advertising works very well on them and their capital outlay is minuscule compared to the Enterprise Client.

XP, Vista W7, W8 and W10 are the era. You can miss or skip a 'period' here and there in an era because they all have a defined end date- but you can not escape its end. Some missed Vista and some will miss W10.

Change represents opportunity. The burning question: Is MS going to build an OS from scratch to start the new era off?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  7. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Not feasible: it would break compatibility and if they were to do that, they would lose, arguably, the key edge Windows has over other OSes. The OS is a means to an end--the end being software applications--lose that and the OS becomes useless. It's why I'd neither consider nor recommend Apple products--all the "Is there a Mac version?", "When will there be a Mac version?", "How come there's no Mac version?".

Instead, Windows changes over time, balancing compatibility and innovation, as it should.

As far as "last version of Windows" goes: that's marketing. Only a fool would put any credence to anything coming from marketing...

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

We agree to disagree. I think the compatibility model will be dead in 10 years.

9. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

I look at W10 as an experiment. Microsoft is testing the waters with a new approach to OS updates, and computer usage as the general consumer is concerned. 10 years from now they'll have experience and will apply what they've learned which will completely change whatever future plans are currently being written.

In 10 years Photoshop, Indesign, MS Office, etc. will be run as remote services. An example of Adobe's intent to further this idea: https://edex.adobe.com/projectphotoshopstreaming
    Offsite hosted software as a service will eventually make operating system compatibility on your local system less relevant.

Microsoft's W10 experiment is the best move they can make at this point. We're seeing companies move from what we think of as a normal operating system to selling a Star Trek like operating experience complete with voice commands.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Still not a direct link to an ISO image with multiple mirrors and a torrent link like a lot of Linux distros. That is what I mean by transparency. I've already wasted enough time and bandwidth on Windows 10. The automatic updates are a bigger issue for me than for others. I disable them globally, whether Windows, Chrome, Opera or any other piece of software. In a system I'm actually using, I can't stand the workflow interruption when some app decides it's time to update when it was working fine before. Add to that, my systems are locked down enough that automatic updates mostly fail due to lack of privilege and I prefer to manually install any updates at my convenience.

11. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I don't know what you're talking about; it's a direct download from microsoft.com. If you're getting something else, you're hijacked or misconfigured in some way.
    My link (only valid for 24 hrs, get your own from the above link): http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win10_English_x64.iso?t=a8c87128-13eb-4cbb-ab49-960575f45b8c&e=1445996739&h=8ed6c513272e232fe1a4631a70123ed0

Neither can I...especially when the 'workflow' is gaming...unacceptable. That's why I have updates and backups scheduled for when I'm sleeping.

Yeah, I don't find that convenient at all. I welcome our automatic update overlords. :D

12. MisterB

That is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to validate the request. It refuses to validate a request from the Xp system I'm using for Wilders. I can download all the Linux isos my heart desires from this box, or another Xp box I've dedicated specifically to downloading large files. This is all just MS licensing BS. I've already had enough of it. As I've said, Windows 10 has already wasted enough of my time and I've moved on to other things. Maybe I will give it another look at in a year or two but for the moment, it has nothing that I want, need, or even am all that interested in.

13. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Are you using VPN and your region is showing elsewhere? Running a non-genuine version?

The link works on an unactivated (but genuine key) Vista just now.

Linux is great for backend but for end-user boxes, every version I've tried (*buntu) has been very noticeably slower than any version of Windows.

14. MisterB

The validated link you posted works, it is the validation that doesn't. Just as an experiment, I started the download and paused it. I will see if it resumes after 24 hours. The file is 3.9gbs compared to 1.5gbs for the Latest Mint Linux 64 bit ISO which I downloaded today. That is a lot more bloat to me. In general, I've found Linux to be leaner and faster in the desktop distros I've tried. Windows Virtualbox VMs run in a Linux host have been faster and more responsive than in a Windows 7 host. The only issue I have with using Linux full time is sheer force of habit. I've also come to realize that I like Windows for some of the same reasons that make it such a fertile platform for malware. It is pretty sloppy and undisciplined as OSes go and has way to many features and components. Once you actually get a grip on its hugely overcomplicated structure, you actually have a lot of freedom to rearrange things. Due to that, I can do extreme tweaks to it and even more extreme tweaks to apps installed in it. In Linux and any other Unix based OS, I have to conform to the OSes predefined structure much more. What I don't like is all the licensing, different editions and activation hassles which get worse with each new version of Windows. Installing a Linux distro with no licensing restrictions or activation is a breath of fresh air after countless Windows activations. Not to mention the convenience of a live DVD that actually gives you an idea of how well the system will work on the target machine before it is installed.

15. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Perhaps that's why you can't download. ;)

It's gotten better since keys aren't limited by the installation disc you're using (with no way of telling beforehand) in prior versions of Windows and Office. Having built dozens of servers and hundreds of clients, I am no friend of Microsoft's DRM but it definitely has gotten better, especially with Threshold 2 fixing Win10's activation pitiful shortfalls. I say I am no friend but I do understand the necessary evil here: you would too if your product was stolen and sold for profit--if you're going to get angry at someone, get angry at the thieves rather than the victims doing something about it.

...until you spend all day trying to find drivers for your hardware and figuring out the 9,000 hoops you have to go through to install them. :D
    Both OSes have their purposes and strengths...with Windows' being that a monkey can pretty much run and administer it--the crux of Microsoft's TCO argument. :isay:

16. MisterB

I haven't found any driver issues with Linux so far, everything works with no hassles. Wifi, bluetooth, video, touchscreen, all ports and devices. 10 years ago, I had some real issues with ACPI but no longer. The driver hassles I've had are from trying an OSX hackintosh where there is absolutely no support from Apple for installing it on non Apple hardware.

A monkey can run Windows sure, but administer it down to the gory depths of the OS? Linux is easier in that regard due to a much more consistent UNIX based structure across all distros and much better documentation. Both OSes are difficult if you go beyond the easy consumer default setup. For that scenario, Apple rules. Their default consumer installs are both simple and secure.

17. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

We don't need to. Windows is "get the job done most efficiently". Linux is "get the job done most effectively".

18. MisterB

Windows efficient??o_O Not in my experience. Too many paths to the same destination. SRP, Applocker and ACLs for example.

19. wildman

wildman Registered Member

The more I hear and read about Windows10 the more I think when Windows7 is no longer supported I will give Linux a try.

Always,
    Wildman

20. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

When I am forced to do it -- I will.:(

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Been there... Done that... Never again... :)

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

When Windows 7 support ends or my computer dies, I will think about it...

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have W10 installed under VM because I really do believe it is still in beta. I have installed W10 upgrades on several systems for friends who have asked me to do it for them. They have all had minor problems and only 2 had problems that I could not find a solution for (drivers).

The Fall Update (Th2) went OK for all of us, however the last cumulative updates after TH2 have caused problems resulting in 2 friends asking me to reinstall the previous OS for them. In total I have upgraded 15 systems and have been asked by 4 friends to put W7 back on their PCs and 3 to put W8 back on their PCs . So out of 15 friends who upgraded to W10, since August 2015, there are now only 6 left on W10.

My own assessment is that they upgraded too soon. Of the 9 who upgraded early and are now back on either W7 or W8, they tell me that they may try W10 again before the free offer expires. None of them have any intention to buy a new PC in 2016 with W10 pre-installed. In fact I think most of them believe the PC they have will be their last PC.

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have never upgraded any Windows OS as I had serious problems or I couldn't see any benefit from doing it. I will probably buy my next machine in a year time with Windows 10 on it.

25. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

So many sheeple, MS (win10) herding them in for round up.
    Will never get on my box.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.